RPG recommendations within my hardware?

JeffCGD

Registered
I'm looking to get back into gaming, with a change of genre to the RPG type of game for a change.

Can anyone offer suggestion on games for Mac OSX along the lines of Baldur's Gate, etc? I'm looking for something a bit nicer, eye-candy wise, that will still run on my G4 733MHz Tower with 384MB RAM, and a 32MB NVidia GeForce2MX video card.

Thanks in advance.

Neverwinter Nights I think is popular. Dungeon Siege might be good. Not sure how these will run on your sytem, but the games listed below, should run fine.

Baldur's Gate 2 is out for Mac and so it IceWind Dale I think.

I've played a lot of Shadowbane and that game is fun only if you like PvP (Player vs. Player) action. Fighting computer AI mobs is useful only for resource gathering and leveling. The game is all about getting in a guild and seeing how long you can kill mobs until your party gets wasted by a group of PKers (Player Killers). It gets quite old really, unless you are a really good at PvP which I and many others are not. The servers that Shadowbane run on are crap. I mean the guys that host this game host it in Canada, with no American mirror servers. What idiots, they can eat sh!t for all I care.

I tried Everquest too. You can only play with other Mac EQers, not PC EQers. The game just moves way too slow and unless you find a friend to help you out at the beginning of the game, the first few levels can be far from fun. Took me like 3 days to get to lvl 10, way too slow for me. I don't mind having to work, but EQ makes you work too much. In a game where it is hard to find a team, I just think soloing should be a little more forgiving.

BGII and IceWind are both great games, I got into them after playing Baldur's Gate I&II on the Xbox. I suggest you find them and play them ASAP. I think I paid only $19.99 for each, and both are more than worth that price.

I'm not sure what the current beta requirements for Worlds of Warcraft (WoW for short) are, but you may be able to squeak your current system in when final release specs are announced. However, since the product is still in beta, and Blizzard (the publisher) has not given any guess as to a ship date, you might be in for quite a wait.

Sadly, Everquest for the Mac may soon be no more. Sony Online (the company that owns Everquest [Mac & PC], runs their servers, and makes multiple millions of dollars a month (yes, month) has decided to once again betray the Macintosh community. I won't get into all the gory details here, but if you would like to read about what has been going on for the past year, you can investigate it more at Everquest:Mac . In short, they seem to have pulled the plug on any future development for the Mac client and it's sever less than a month after promises by the CEO himself to fix numerous issues with the game.

--

Keep the Mac game community strong!

Everquest is still on, apparently. Sony's web store is not selling the client, but Sony says there're plenty of boxes out there. Too many.

Doug

This is kind of the case for all online rpgs. They start big, and slowly dwindle down to nothing. Not just mac online rpgs, it happen with pc counter parts. I seriously think online rpgs should come with a warning. Beware this program will never operate property, warning my cause nausea, headaches, and drain 500 dollars from your income.

I had a mystic in clan lords, 3 years of playing, still getting killed by mice, had no useful anblities. I think my job there was to leach xp off other people. In Shadow bane I have saved up an insane amount. It was anuff to build a hole town in an instant. A very large town, I wanted to go out with a bang. Two months before my account was up for a renewal, I'm with out a computer for two weeks, in those two weeks they closed down the server. Tossed my player over to a new server, with out my gold in my bank box. It was only 5 months of killing mindlessly for hours, and saving all the gold, and some of my friends gold gone in an instant. Thanks wolf pack! I think that was the day I deleted shadow bane off my computer.

but that said I'm now playing secondlife, it's online, server based like shadow bane. But SL is not an rpg. It's just socializing, programing, texture, modeling, building. Get to look , and wear what ever I want to. It's pretty fun, and much more rewarding, even if the clients needs allot of work. Un forchently player have to buy virtual land, witch cost allot of money, and then their is a monthly fee on purchased land. and it can easily end up being more expensive then any online rpg.

game on wane, game on garth ^.^

lots of games mentioned, lots of info. I just want to reply a bit on a few of the games mentioned.

World of Warcraft
Rumored to be coming out December now. A guy at GameStop said that is what is on his computer. I think he said Decmeber 5. It was November sometime he said. There is a good chance it will be pushed back a time or two again, most games are. Yet to have dates that close means it should be closing in on being complete. No longer are we saying first half of 200X or first quarter, blah blah. Now we are getting MONTHS, which is promising.

Baldur's Gate
Great game as long as you have a lot of patience. It takes time to walk from town to town and it takes some micromanagement to win fights. You can actually pause fights, issue commands, then unpause it to have them carry out your commands. I was pausing every 5 seconds or so in some fights. Mostly to move cloth wearing casters to the back of the group so they aren't the primary target of my enemy. If you don't pause, then you will have a hard time not losing members now and then. Running away from a fight is hard. The game is so vast and long and I think it is a wonderful game, but just takes patience to play.

Everquest
Sony isn't making the game anymore is all. They are still offering the servers to Mac users, so you can still play. They said if a boom in demand happens in the future, they can make more but as it stands, they have a ton of unsold copies I guess and thus are stopping production. Makes complete sense from a financial standpoint. It is a great game too, just to slow on the leveling for me.

Back