RPM error during linux installation

Zammy-Sam

Desertchild
Ok, this is not related to macs, but I know there are some nix-geeks (at least one ;)) around who could help.
During the installation of SUSE7 on a pc I get a RPM error. The installation proceeds like there was nothing but later I can't get the kde run.
I was wondering if RPM has anything to do with the packages I am trying to install and if that could be due to a faulty hdd or CD-drive?

LOL :p

Well, it could be you are missing dependencies needed by that RPM to install properly. RPM doesn't allow you to install usually if there are missing dependencies--files that are needed for said application in the RPM package to run properly. This is to prevent breaking any programs. You could force the install, however, but 90 percent of the time it won't run.

Are you using YaST to install the packages? I know that SuSE doesn't necessarily update their packages for a specific version very often...mainly security updates and stuff through YaST. For this reason I've stick with Debian, Slackware, or even Fedora on a PC (I've grown to like Fedora, even though it does add too much to the system that isn't necessary.). Even Mandrake will allow you to install the latest and greatest using urpmi.

Since I haven't played with SuSE since 9.1 personal which didn't want to install properly for me :p, I am not exactly sure if there is a "suse-current" repository or something that you can tell YaST to upgrade from. Any reason why you are sticking with SuSE?

If you're installing from the CD, there shouldn't be an RPM error at all. If there is an error, it's highly likely that there is a problem with the installation media (damaged CD, etc). Get new CDs, or just choose something like Debian :). Simple install, and easy package management.

nixgeek said:
LOL :p

Well, it could be you are missing dependencies needed by that RPM to install properly. RPM doesn't allow you to install usually if there are missing dependencies--files that are needed for said application in the RPM package to run properly. This is to prevent breaking any programs. You could force the install, however, but 90 percent of the time it won't run.

Are you using YaST to install the packages? I know that SuSE doesn't necessarily update their packages for a specific version very often...mainly security updates and stuff through YaST. For this reason I've stick with Debian, Slackware, or even Fedora on a PC (I've grown to like Fedora, even though it does add too much to the system that isn't necessary.). Even Mandrake will allow you to install the latest and greatest using urpmi.

Since I haven't played with SuSE since 9.1 personal which didn't want to install properly for me :p, I am not exactly sure if there is a "suse-current" repository or something that you can tell YaST to upgrade from. Any reason why you are sticking with SuSE?
Exactly! It's Yast2 and I only get a warning like: "RPM error was reported" and there is only an "OK" button to click. The reason I am stucked with SUSE:
1. it has a german language package (like some other distros such as Redhat)
2. it was the only linux distro that finished the installation on those old pcs. Tried Redhat and many livecd distros such as Ubuntu, Sam :))), Knoppix and Morphx. None ever fully installed or ran on my systems. Tested all distros on 5 different pcs. The error messages were very cryptic.

Viro said:
If you're installing from the CD, there shouldn't be an RPM error at all. If there is an error, it's highly likely that there is a problem with the installation media (damaged CD, etc). Get new CDs, or just choose something like Debian :). Simple install, and easy package management.
Well, I changed the hdd and after I turned it on I decided to not risk anything (the installation mostly takes 1hour) and used another CD of SUSE7. And now it finished without any RPM error report. So, it could have been the CD. I used it on 40 pcs by now and it kinda looked messed up.
Btw, sold 15 pcs by now and 34 are finished waiting for a buyer. My current price: 59€. For some systems I really feel sorry. SUSE7 runs so smooth on those and some screens really have a nice picture quality. I even have an Eizo 15'' screen. That sweet thing resolves more pixels than my 15.2'' tibook screen. :)
Thanks for the help, nixgeek and viro!

Have you got enough to buy that (was it?) Powerbook you were hoping for? 59 € is a good deal for a machine.

Viro said:
Have you got enough to buy that (was it?) Powerbook you were hoping for? 59 € is a good deal for a machine.
By now I had expenses around 500€. So, right now I am 400€ on plus not considering all the work I put into the reparations and installations and the advertisement, which is the worst part for me.
I was planing to get a G5 powerbook once it's out, but since my wife (we married a bit more than a month ago) is moving to my place and I have to get a bigger car (currently driving a smart ;)) there won't be much left for my new powerbook. :( But hey, it looks like it will take some time for its release and I would wait for the rev 2 anyway. So, still some time left to save/earn more money. ;)

I know how you feel zammy. I get married in the summer, and I'm already running out of money. But wives are worth it. :D

Back