rsync producing "Not a directory" messages

Garrek

Registered
I'm running the latest update to Mac OS X Tiger on my powerbook and Dual Mac G5. I've downloaded rsyncx from VersionTracker to backup both systems to a folder share. The folder share is exposed from a XServe running Panther server.

I mounted the folder share using the "Connect to server" dialog in Finder (cifs://username@xserve/sharename/).

The command line I'm using follows:

time sudo /usr/local/bin/rsync --eahfs -a --showtogo /Users/username/Documents/ /Volumes/sharename/Documents/

At some point rsync delivers a slew of messages such as:

output open path/filename: Not a directory

The filename can sometimes be a .app, .tiff, .ai, etc.

I've searched google to no avail. Any ideas?

Oh, one more thing, I'd SURE like to know how to also mount the cifs share from the CLI. =)

Thanks,
-G

Garrek said:
I'm running the latest update to Mac OS X Tiger on my powerbook and Dual Mac G5. I've downloaded rsyncx from VersionTracker to backup both systems to a folder share. The folder share is exposed from a XServe running Panther server.

I mounted the folder share using the "Connect to server" dialog in Finder (cifs://username@xserve/sharename/).

The command line I'm using follows:

time sudo /usr/local/bin/rsync --eahfs -a --showtogo /Users/username/Documents/ /Volumes/sharename/Documents/

At some point rsync delivers a slew of messages such as:

output open path/filename: Not a directory

The filename can sometimes be a .app, .tiff, .ai, etc.

I've searched google to no avail. Any ideas?

Oh, one more thing, I'd SURE like to know how to also mount the cifs share from the CLI. =)

Thanks,
-G

Not sure if this will help or not, but I know when trying to rsync Novell directories here at work, files that have been compressed by Novell are not recognized by rsync. The error output is like this:

readlink "/some/file/or/directory" failed: no such file or directory

Could be a similar issue.

Back