rumor: New iMac @ MWSF (translation from hardmac.com)

tree

Christmas
We are normally very hesitant to post rumors and on that note, we want to remind you that a rumor is an unverifyable fact.

Certain large national companies have already entered in this data; there will be a new model of the iMac G4 with a processor speed of 1 Ghz, a hard drive of 120 GB, and the machine will contain 512 mb of ram - nothing surpising yet.

The surprising item will be that the machine will sport a price tag that is 1200 to 1400 euros higher than the top of the line now; bringing the machine in the 4000 euro range; an astronomical price for an iMachine. It is difficult to imagine that the machine wouldn't support a 19" LCD or other new items/technology to justify such a high price.

Another informed source (in another European nation) told me that it was impossible to order 15" LCD iMacs that contained the CDRW or Combo drive and that it was also possible that it might be difficult to order the superdrive equipped 15" LCD model.

[Update] Another person informed that on Jan 8 a conference between european and american staff to present to journalists two sessions; one on hardware, the other on software. The hardware sessions seemed to be oriented towards wireless and mobile items. Leave your mind to imagine things...

4000 euro. that's about 4000 US dollars. credibility of that rumour? zero.

If Apple plans to release higher-end iMacs with larger screens, it better be prepared to lower the prices on existing models. After all, the iMac is supposed to be more value-oriented in comparison to Power Macs.

i guess apple got tired of bleeding to death slowly. they've decided to shoot themselves in the head and get it over with. :D $4000? iMac? iMoney? iMightBeGettingaDellInstead! :p

The 17 inch iMac costs 2630 Euros in France so 4000 isnt that far of a stretch..... A dual 1.25 gig here is 4304 euros and the 23 inch cinema display is 5142 euros. The eMac starts at 1434 euros. Those prices are with tax built in which is the way everything is priced here. No way to dodge the tax as in the US. Gives me a good excuse to go to the US whenever I need to buy an Apple though!

i'm not that far from Europe, Rumor_Addict. But 4000 for a consumer Macintosh is too much. and 4000 is 50% away from 2630, more or less...

Ohhhh a neighbor! Sorry overlooked your location in Switzerland. I agree that 4000 is way to much and unlikely. Of course I think 2600 is too much too!

I think what you will almost definitely find is both eMac and iMac will be upgraded or completely redone. Not only is their ten month cycle for updates spot on time for January, it is getting difficult to stock of ANY eMac or 15" iMac - which is the most reliable indicator on the Exciting-New-Product-O-Meter(tm). Likely to see eMacs with LCD screens that have a nice toughened polycarbonate clear plastic coating to stop sticky fingers, ending CRT's horrible, horrible reign forever.

While that has solid basis in fact, for my "Wild Prediction Of The Day"(tm), I'd like to go out on a limb and say iMACS WITH WIRELESS REMOVABLE SCREENS! WOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!

PS. Pricing of US$4000 for an iMac? Absolute trollop if I ever heard it.

well, i'm sure the american model will only be a few hundred more :D

(just teasing guys :p)

sounds like the specs would be nice, but let's hope the price is wrong at least.

Back