Rumors of new Powerbooks & me

Veljo

Mac Enthusiast
I've read on this site that Apple are rumored to be releasing a new Powerbook sometime next week. If this is indeed true, I'm looking to buy one of the current Powerbooks which should drop in price somewhat, especially if the new books carry the rumored low powered G5.

So what do you think? There's rumors going that it'll be either the final G4 revision or a new G5. Should I wait? Should I buy now? How much will price of older models change?

The low power G5 is still too high power (drains battery too quickly) for a PowerBook. So if it's as expected "just another G4" PowerBook, you should be fine with your plan. However: You'll miss out on newer graphics card, maybe higher screen resolution - whatever makes them new...

Problem is end of tomorrow the interest free at the location I was gonna get one from ends, so I have no idea what to do. I could wait, but then again I want one now! :p

Then again the current model I want is a bit too far up the price scale for me, so I was hoping for it to drop in price from the new model. Then again, if it's another G4 upgrade, the prices won't move _that_ much as opposed to if it was a G5 model.

Hmm, decisions, decisions.

prices wont movethat much anyway - apple tend to keep their prices somewhat regular at the same level, no matter what upgrade comes.. actually, the some of the latter upgrades have indeed been upgrades to the machine offered for less the price than its earlier revision.
don't know how it works with upgrades G4 ->G5 etc, but i see no reason why they should be much more expensive.

also, as fryke says, the expected upgrade is really another(maybe the last) revision to the G4 powerbook..

alex.

also, if you really want a powerbook for less money, you should try to get a refurb.
i think you will find it hard to find a rev C-machine just after the upgrade to rev D(for ex) for less the money than its price just before the upgrade - they tend to kind of stick to its price, even though a new model is out..

i'll say refurb is the way to go for a cheap, new model..

fryke said:
The low power G5 is still too high power (drains battery too quickly) for a PowerBook.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. Power-wise the regular G5 (PPC970FX - 24.5w @ 2.0GHz, 12.3w @ 1.4GHz) draws less than the G4 (7447A - 21w @ 1.42GHz, 18w @ 1.33GHz) currently used in the powerbooks at the same clock frequency (speed). The G4 (7448 - single core) is rated as <15w @ 1.5GHz...putting it that way in their specs makes you wonder if it's as low as they claim, or that's where they're trying to get to.

I think the real reason (now) we haven't seen a G5 powerbook has to do with the upcoming Intel switch. Initially I though it to be a supply issue, but now with the news of the switch (which had to be thought about long before being announced) it makes you wonder. Maybe it's a combination of both, the supply issue leading to the consideration of Intel (I'm aware of "Why" they say they're doing it...that's my feeling of one of the factors).

In the end I think it comes down to this. Why waste the money and time redesigning the line to use G5s when there's going to be another large switch (redesign required) in a year to the Intel architecture? Since a dual-core G4 would require some major changes too, I doubt we'll see that either. We'll probably see a speed update in the 1.76 to 1.8GHz range...maybe 2.0GHz if we're really lucky. Possibly even a small price drop ($100 range) and better specs on the other areas (video card, HDs, etc.).

-----

Personally, I'd wait until at least next week sometime just to be safe. I say that mainly because we do know something is to be announced on the 12th, just not what. It could be PowerMacs, PowerBooks, iPods, iBooks, something else all together, or a combination of those. The second reason is it's financially a bad idea to finance a computer, zero-interest or not. (I know some people will disagree with me on that, but it is.) You're better off waiting a few months and saving up the money to grab one. The only time I'd consider financing one a good idea would be if it's a requirement for college and you put it in with your financial aid package.

well dude i dont think any upgrade or a possible G5 will be more expensive than the current 1.67GHz powerbook. i bought the 1.67ghz PB, i m ultra happy with it but f@@@k that i thought this powerbook was expensive! i dont think apple would try to come with a new powerbook that is even more expensive, cmon how many guys can afford almost 2500$ in a laptop?

mdnky said:
The second reason is it's financially a bad idea to finance a computer, zero-interest or not. (I know some people will disagree with me on that, but it is.) You're better off waiting a few months and saving up the money to grab one. The only time I'd consider financing one a good idea would be if it's a requirement for college and you put it in with your financial aid package.

I don't understand why you'd consider it a bad idea to finance at 0% (assuming it's 0% for the life of the loan). Assuming you can budget wisely then 0% financing is an excellent way to stay liquid if you're other option is the shell out the exact same amount up front. Now if you have to pay "extra" (e.g. you're purchasing the unit at a higher price, you are getting charged some type of loan or processing fee) for the 0%, then it looks less attractive. But other than that, "free" loans are awesome when you can get them. Like I said, does require discipline though. Am I missing something here?

Well, I remember about 5 years ago when the PowerBook G3s were $2500 for the 400 MHz Lombard and $3500 for the 500 MHz Pismo...

well, the only thing i think you are missing is the fact that theese loans doens't come around too often. but i doo agree that it might be a very good idea if you're a student or anyone else with a tight budget.

personally, i hate to be in debt, and would actually prefer to shell out the big amount of cash upfront, eventhough i knew it would mean really sprse times for teh next couple of months.. but i understand this isn't even a considerable option for many.

alex.

Those 0% deals are very tricky...a case to definitely make sure you "read the fine print". There's variables in them which can make that 0% much more expensive than buying outright, or possibly even an 8% loan. Say for instance you missed one payment, they will jack you up to a 20+% interest rate and make you pay back-interest from day one of the loan, not including any fees they may charge. The gist of that is you just payed a whole lot more for your laptop/computer.

"But I'll never miss a payment!" you say. What if you get injured on the job, in an accident outside of work, become sick, loose your job, or a natural disaster hits. You'll have more important things to worry about than paying for that computer.

Part of the issue we have here in the US is our people's ability and acceptability to live in constant debt. It's an issue which is going to come back and haunt us soon. I'm not saying all debt is bad...some like a mortgage on a house or other real estate is definitely acceptable. However, financing whimsical things like a computer or other non-essential small ticket items (TVs, audio systems, furniture) is a bad trend that's only getting worse. You're much better off saving for a few months and buying outright.

If you can't afford it, why are you buying it? I could see, if there were no hidden fees or a raise in price, someone financing one if they already had the means (say maybe had the money in a good interest bearing account of some type). That makes sense...but digging yourself into a hole and not being able to get out of it, especially on something that depreciates so rapidly, doesn't.

Yep. The minute you unpack your Mac, it's basically worthless (the next version is always just around the corner...), yet you're going to pay for it for years to come? Sounds like a bad idea to me...

if i spent the same as i spent on my mac 6 months later, i could have got the 23" HD cinema display, dual 2.3ghz with pci-x and 8gb of ram possibilty and a 250gb hdd.

but i wouldn't have had a computer for those 6 months.

i'm perfectly happy wth mine, and i don't regret buying when i did at all.

erh... could you please _not_ shout? i've got a headache... ;) --- btw.: this happens to _many_ buyers of computer technology, so you shouldn't feel too freaked out. also, it's not real just yet.

And to add to what fryke said, you're Mac will have more value years after any PC would be considered obsolete. I just bought an iMac G5 and I know I've made an investment even with the transition coming. The PPC platform is well established, meaning that we know Mac OS X will work fine on it while the first gen Intel Macs might bring up some hiccups along the way that wasn't anticipated even with the developer kits. And since this Mac will have longer staying value, I can rest assured that it won't be obsolete anytime soon. Heck, even when it does I'll probably just install Linux on it and continue on my happy way with my iMac. :D

fryke said:
erh... could you please _not_ shout? i've got a headache... ;) --- btw.: this happens to _many_ buyers of computer technology, so you shouldn't feel too freaked out. also, it's not real just yet.

about 3 weeks after i bought my powerbook, they updated it and made the airport cards standard and bigger harddrive's as well and i think bumped the memory to 512MB of RAM too...

now with the $2500 i spent on a 12" powerbook i could easily get a 15" powerbook for cheaper...oh well technology gets cheaper and cheaper as times move on

Back