running temprature

redice

Registered
Hi,

Of late i felt my powerbook was running abit too hot, so i got a temprature widget.
Normal temp rates are diplayed as follows:-

cpu bottom - 61 degrees celcius
battery - 31 degrees
GPU - 61 degrees
Hard drive - 41 degrees

Could someone please let me know if these temps are normal.
My powerbook is a G4 12" 1.33ghz ppc, 768MB RAM, 60GB HD.

PLEASE HELP

Thanks,
Redice

The Hard Drive is too hot, Have you been doing allot of writing?
I Think the CPU should be about 50˚C, Im not sure though.
Try getting a USB Fan and point it in to the fan intake

well, am a web developer.. so the machine is on alot. and am constantly switching over from one program to another.
would that be an issue?? but why would the hard drive run hot, is it not ment to withstand all that?
could any of my fans within the powerbook have stopped functioning? is there anyway i could find out with opening my machine?

Redice

Hi,

Of late i felt my powerbook was running abit too hot, so i got a temprature widget.
Normal temp rates are diplayed as follows:-

cpu bottom - 61 degrees celcius
battery - 31 degrees
GPU - 61 degrees
Hard drive - 41 degrees

Could someone please let me know if these temps are normal.
My powerbook is a G4 12" 1.33ghz ppc, 768MB RAM, 60GB HD.

PLEASE HELP

Thanks,
Redice

I had the same model of powerbook. Contrary to what some other posters have mentioned, that temperature is fine. My CPU hovers around 60 celcius when I'm doing some heavy work and it never ever exceeds 65 celcius. The Hard drive hovers around 40 celcius, touching 45 when I do a lot of reads and writes.

That temperature is fine. Pointing a USB fan at it is possibly the most ridiculous suggestion I've heard to date ...

I agree that the fan idea is daft, these temperatures are fine. The first indication you should get with an overheating problem would be crashes and lockups.

Is there anyway to tell the fans to kick in?
My 15" powerbook is 55C (top, bottom & power supply temps). The fan does not seem to kick on very often - unless it gets REALLY REALLY REALLY hot. Anyway to make them go one when I want them to go on.

Back