$$'s mess up admin password??!

goramba

Registered
Strange one here, hopefully it's common. I recently changed the passwords on my system and added two $'s to the end. It accepted it fine and everything went well until I tried to log in. Now it just keeps telling me my password is wrong, when I know it's right! It's the same problem on 3 systems I've set. I also tested it out by creating a new account with a password of only $$$'s and one with just plain text. The plain text one works but the $$ one keeps telling me it's wrong, even though I know it's right!

I know one of the systems is ver. 10.3.9, not sure about the other two though.

Is there something goofy I need to type or did I miss a big memo on this one? One day I'll get this Mac thing :D

Seems like the '$' is causing you the problem. You can reset the pasword by booting off the OS disc. Under the Installer menu there's a Reset password command.

Change to something without the '$'.

Just a quick question. Why would you keep setting a password with the "$" in it, if you knew it caused problems?

But yea boot from cd. Try not to use the "$".
:p

-Eric

Well I didn't figure they would be a problem so I added the $ to all 3 systems. After that I tried to connect to one of the computers and that's when I realized the problem. I've never been able to input a 'bad' character without the software telling me so. Especially frustrating that it was an operating system and not some low-budget homebrew software.

I'm guessing nobody else has had this issue? With three of my systems affected I have to guess there are others that have had this problem, wondering if there is a fix. Or maybe I stumbled onto something and the only goof ball that uses $'s?

About the cd, I'm sure it's somewhere in the office but I've got a ton of stuff and not sure if I have the same CD that was used to install it. Is that going to be a problem or will any Mac installer work?

Thanks for your help so far!

Back