S/MIME on OS X????

goynang

Some guy
Can anyone here shed any light on using S/MIME emails on Mac OS X?

It appears on the face of it that only Netscape's mail client supports it (I haven't actually tried it myself yet as I'm asking on behalf of someone else).

Anyone got any experience of it?

Can it be done using a UNIX mail account with Apple's Mail and some command line trickery? (openSSL man page seems relevant)

Any help would be much appreciated - Google searches haven't really helped a great deal so far.

Success here might even persuade a potential switcher that macs are useful!!!

Cheers!

Correct, only Mozilla and Netscape Mail support s/mime on Mac OS X (currently).

It seems like the big push on the Mac front is GPG-encrypted mail rather than s/mime. It is arguably better (and more open), so I would look into that option if it is reasonable in your situation.

One potential work around is to use Mail or Entourage or whatever is your default mail client for most purposes, but if your volume of encrypted messages is low, forward those messages needing special handling to your Mozilla/Netscape mail client and read them there.

Cheers for the reply.

Unfortunately it has to be s/mime so GPG isn't an option in this situation. As I said, the question was on behalf of someon else and I believe the emails in question are order details from an on-line credit card payment thing. The system that processes them uses s/mime only.

I think they will end up using Netscape/Mozilla for the emails they do get - although I believe they had a problem with the certificates (not sure what though) when they tried this out.

Back