S.O.S. - Need material to justify Mac in workplace

cockneygeezer

Registered
Dear all Mac users,

I currently work for the UK Government and yesterday, I got a corparate email for the Head of IT. In his email, he basically said justify your Macintosh is the workplace.

I am a graphic designer, so arguing in using a Macintosh is pretty simple, but to help me even more, I need material claiming that the Macintosh platform has lower Total Cost of Ownership than a PC. The Head of IT's plan is to go down the "single" platform strategy to reduce TCO.

So I need help. Does anyone know or any TCO research that can help me? If so please post the URL so that I can get a copy.
What I am looking for is material in the last 3 years, non-bias and preferably from a non-Macintosh website.

Thanks in advanced for all who contribute with URL's.

BTW, I have access to GIGA and Gartner information groups and they have nothing on TCO for Macs, typical...

cockneygeezer said:
Dear all Mac users,

I currently work for the UK Government and yesterday, I got a corparate email for the Head of IT. In his email, he basically said justify your Macintosh is the workplace.

Cannot help you with this but I wish you luck: after all your officials did already killed your british made hard- & software industry, because they have just as the authorities over here in the Netherlands a blind trust in M$.

How about a written testimony from myself? I'm an IT at a mideastern US university that got hit hard by the blaster worm (among others). We spent three weeks trying to get the 10 windows users I have under my areas. The total cost to the university was probably $15000 - $25000 for those 3 weeks. The amount of money the spent on Macintosh prevention and repair for the 300 + mac machines was $0. Tell him to put that in his pipe and smoke it.

If you do print work its easy, just say, "look mate, I gotta stay compatable with all those imagesetters and fonts out there in the prepress world, or we're gonna always have nasty surprises!"

Good luck.

Well, you could ask the guy if the Mac has caused any hiccups for the system. Why does he want to replace your Mac? Invisible files on network drives? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

panther includes native compatiblity with windows login domains, ie you can log on with an NT username and password using your mac and panther.
working as an IT consultant for a major retail store's coprorate offices, all the graphic designers would work on macs, and everyone else on pcs... I would say out of the +-600 calls per week i would get, 1 would be a mac if that...

If you can arrange it, try showing your boss side-by-side comparisons of programs you use, like Photoshop, on a Mac and on a PC. Show how Photoshop on the PC opens new documents under the tools palette, hides your background (like all Windows programs do), etc. Show him how much more productive you are on a Mac.

That's not TCO per se, but it's $$$ saved in terms of increased efficiency and, therefore, productivity.

Dear All,

First, thanks to all that post suggestions and comments, they were helpful.

I am glad to report that I am allow to keep my Mac, and an bonus is that I am allow to replace it when the machine comes to the end of it's lifecycle.

So, Steve Jobs, if you are reading this, you will be glad to know that you are at least one user in the UK Government demographic.

So how did I overcome my IT Manager? Well, I told him the truth. I am a graphic designer, and the tool of choice when it comes to graphics, video and multimedia is the Mac. He was happy with that. Also, I think that the cost of replacing all my hardware and software would had be more than the actual support cost for the Mac might of helped. I worked out that it would have cost around £10,000 to replace all my Mac software to PC software.

Anyway, thanks again to all those who help.

Next mission, getting a 23" cinema display or am I pushing my luck...?

Back