Sadam Hussein possibly caught!

[Edit]- Writing as i see it on tv:
From press conference in Baghdad 12.00 GMT:
"Ladies and gentlemen, we've got him!"- Paul Bremer
Captured Saturday 8.30 pm local, in a cellar 15km of a house south of Tikrit.
Then Bremer went off on a propaganda speech for a bit.

No shots fired. Saddam Hussein has been 'talkative' since capture. Was in a 'spider hole' 6-8 feet deep under the house. Found with $750000 US dollars in $100 bills. They showed a video- and it does look like him!
Showed before-and-after pictures of him when captured and him after cleaning up- very convincing! [/Edit]

From BBC news website:

"Saddam Hussein 'arrested in Iraq'
Ousted Iraqi President Saddam Hussein has been arrested in Iraq, according to unconfirmed reports.
Members of the Iraqi Governing Council and Kurdish officials said he had been captured in his ancestral hometown of Tikrit, north of the capital Baghdad.
The US Defence Department said it had no confirmation of the report.
Saddam Hussein is the most wanted man on the list issued by US authorities but has not been seen since Baghdad fell to US forces in April.

Intensive search
A spokeswoman for US-led coalition forces in Baghdad said that a "very important" announcement would be made at a news conference at 1200 GMT but would not give further details.
Saddam Hussein has been the subject of intensive searches by US-led forces in Iraq but previous attempts to locate him have proved unsuccessful.
People have started celebrating the possible capture in the streets of Baghdad and the northern Iraqi city of Kirkuk.
The former Iraqi leader was last seen in television footage shot in April at a Baghdad market just before the city fell to US forces in the recent Iraq conflict.
US authorities have offered a $25m reward for information leading to his capture.
On 22 July his sons, Uday and Qusay, were killed in a raid by US forces in the northern city of Mosul.

It's a great day, a great day...

And it's been confirmed as of 0713 EST.

well, I guess that's that then. It won't make any difference, he wasn't a threat to us anyway, and now we have soldiers in Iraq who are increasingly not wanted there. We have caught an evil dictator, but we have infuriated the Arabs by invading a muslim country, and by being insensitive (giving PlayBoy to local boys... US flag on statue...). So we have caught someone who was evil but not a threat, but given muslim fundamentalist terrorists more cause to attack us, and have our troops in a vulnerable position.

Well done us.
I would update by saying that although I am genuinely pleased I do not wish anyone to be jingoistic, and I don't want a certain country to feel it can do this whenever it wants. It is unfortunate and said that this had to be done, that we (you) did do it is something to be proud of but not arrogant about.

Well, it's about time we caught Saddam because now we can focus on Osama. :p

Not a threat? Are you joking?!

If a leader survives the people will fight for him, he can send out his commands and the people will obey him. He's had years and years of war experience, he knows what he was doing. He was a MAJOR threat, that's why he was the number one person of the most wanted 55 people.

Today is truely an amazing day! Any rebelion in Iraq will now surely fall!

Maybe he was a threat, maybe he wasn't. He probably was still a threat, but not a very big one. From what I've heard on the radio, it sounds as though he wasn't in contact with his network of terrorists, rebels, or what ever you care to call them. There will probably be an increase in attacks against the troops in Iraq, because the terrorists, rebels, ect, will want to try and show that they are still able to fight, and to give the impresion that Sadam hasn't been caught.

Plus, we have created a political vacume in Iraq. Some people probably respect and acknowlage the new Iraq goverment, but not every one will. Now with Sadam and his sons gone, there will be a polical vacume untill more people reconize the new goverment.

Just my thoughts, but only time will tell how this all pans out.

Not a threat? Are you joking?!

If a leader survives the people will fight for him, he can send out his commands and the people will obey him. He's had years and years of war experience, he knows what he was doing. He was a MAJOR threat, that's why he was the number one person of the most wanted 55 people.

Rebellion against who? The army that illegally invaded their country?
Worth pointing out the Saddam was no threat to us, and would not have been a direct threat to us for many years, if ever, before we sent troops into Iraq. Once we did, of course, he became a threat because he could have been (although we now know he wasn't) commanding (and was at least giving reason for) attempts to kill our troops.

I understand that he was the 'ace of spades' but the CIA said only recently in a report to the US congress that capture of Saddam would not affect the hostility to Americans that much.
By the way why did we go to war, with hindsight it seems a very odd thing to have done?

Well, now at least George can go to his daddy and say, I got him for you Dad, Merry Christmas.

Gia, you're kidding, right. Do you really think Bush is letting the Iraqi people have any real say in anything.

bobw said:
Excellent thinking :)

Much as I understand that he was not a nice (understatement of the century) person, I think that a public execution is inhumane and barbaric. Does it make us look good to sink to level of the people we condemn?

Heh...he wasn't a nice man, but I like the fact that his being caught overshadows the whole reason we are in there...wait....wait......we aren't in there for any reason. Sadam never had any real WMDs...and didn't we go into the middle east looking for Bin Laden first? Shit...can't find him, might as well go after Sadam now....which wasn't funding any Bin Laden run terrorist group, Bin Laden hated Sadam..and they would never collaberate. Sadam was not a madman, he liked to have everything under HIS control, thus funding terrorists that he had no control of would not be in his favor. So now we are in Iraq, rebuilding a country we shouldn't be in, capturing a leader that wasn't really a threat to us and still looking for WMD's that aren't there....Merry Christmas to all those troops in the New West Germany. ;)

I second Muzgals comment. I would say it even more directly: A public execution will make a "little" Saddam Hussein out of those who watch and want it..
And I believe there are many ppl out there who are roughly against him, but not even a little bit different. Just less powerful..

Dear lord, a public execution is possibly the worst idea ever. Now you're going to take a bad guy and make a martyr out of him.

I don't think this will make the number of terror attacks increase or decrease. For some this is extra motivation, for others, this is demoralizing.

And while we're at it, as soons as I read "A dark era is over" on CNN.com, I thought they had captured Bin Laden! Silly me!

Probably right. Should just be tried, convicted and put in a prison and forgot about.

I think it would be completely outrageous for saddam hussein to be executed in the first place - especially by the united states. The US needs to turn the guy over to the UN or something, they should not have any say in the punishment that saddam faces.

I don't think anyone should kill Saddam. We were fighting to get this guy to stop killing people, what does it say about us if we kill him? Not a whole lot of good I would say. Oil is the reason we went to this war. Bush wanted control over Iraq and now he has it. Just a puppet government that Bush can make his daddy proud with.

You all may think differently but once America starts going around telling everyone what to do we will no longer BE a democracy. Just the biggest dictator in the world running around under the guise of freedom and liberty.

If you haven't noticed the media already filters everything we see on television and the newspapers, and that allows them to control how we think. But whats "good enough" is all that people care about in this country, so as long as everyone in America can have a gas guzzling SUV, and cable television our government will never change for the better.

Fight the power.

Back