Sadam Hussein possibly caught!

Muzgal said:
..........it was not the first time 'WMD' were tested unessecarily upon a people. To remind you of a situation in some ways not so different I need say two words only; 'Hiroshima' and 'Nagasaki'.

Not so different? How do you define being at war with a country and slaughtering people who live in your own country as not so different? What happened in Japan during WWII was during a time of war, and was done so to save lives. Now, I'm not going to get into a discussion on supporting that decision, as I've seen both sides of the argument and both have some pretty good reasons supporting their views. However, to relate it even closely to what Sadam did to the Kurds is a joke. The only relation to WWII here that can be made is to what Hitler did to the Jews in WWII.

Muzgal said:
And what does killing them prove or do? It doesn't prove anything to them, because they are dead. To other people it proves that if you have the power of life and death over someone it is right for you to decide whether or not they should live. It proves that violence proves things, and that violence is a way to get things done. It proves that life is not sacred, and that the powers of good stoop so easily to the methods of evil.

No, it proves that there are consequences to your actions, and it proves that if you partake in something like that then you will forefit your own. See, we've long been too easy on criminals and we're paying dearly for it now.

(Arden) and Michael

Oh please...

The reason for US doing this war was not to set Iraqis free. There are so many african countries ruled by a rough dictator as well. Noone gives a damn about those. Why? Because there is nothing of interest. It was to controle the oil! Accepting losses for oil is murdering if you ask me. Murdering your own ppl and Iraqis. This is a criminal action as well. Why is noone accepting this? Ahhhh, right! In all those hollywood movies US ppl are the good guys and other ppl always the bad guys.
Stop watching too many of those and confuse them with life. Please!
I can't believe these are your serious words. Somehow very scary to me.

Edit:
I know, not a very productive post. (some might even ask if I ever had any! ;)). But I wanted to get emotional as well. There was no personal offense in here, just my words shouting for a weider point of view. Cause this is what I believe the main difference between us (not just US) and ppl like Saddam Hussein. Everyone has a cruel part. Suppressing it by seeing all details is the solution and the main difference to those who commit terror and crime.

To be honest I do agree with you on the subject of Japan, it is very different, however it is reasonable to say that the primary reason for dropping the A-bomb was to show Russia the power of the new weapon, rather than to win the war, as that had already been won. However that and what Saddam did is not comparable (and should not have been compared), I think I was just reminding us of the old saying "People in Glass houses shouldn't throw stones", or as a famous man once said "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. I just think that because America has almost total power in the World it sometimes behaves as if that power is God given, and that what America thinks and does is by definition good. There is no good and evil just better and worse, and as morality is subjective what is better is up for debate.

mdnky said:
No, it proves that there are consequences to your actions, and it proves that if you partake in something like that then you will forfeit your own. See, we've long been too easy on criminals and we're paying dearly for it now.

However I think the above quote is a little umm... misguided. In Britain we had the death penalty since feudal times. It didn't stop people committing crimes, not at all, crime was rife. Jack the Ripper stalked the streets of London, even though the penalty for any one of his offences was death by hanging. People still stole sheep during the reign of Elizabeth I, even though the penalty was public hanging.

I am sorry it does not "prove that there are consequences to your actions". It demonstrates that another (equally fallible) human being thinks he has the right to judge the crimes of another, and that that human is arrogant enough to believe that they have the right to deal out the ultimate punishment on that person.

Unfortunately the death penalty really doesn't make that much difference to a criminal, the very nature of crime is that you think you won't get caught

Zammy-Sam said:
(Arden) and Michael

Oh please...

The reason for US doing this war was not to set Iraqis free. There are so many african countries ruled by a rough dictator as well. Noone gives a damn about those. Why? Because there is nothing of interest. It was to controle the oil! Accepting losses for oil is murdering if you ask me. Murdering your own ppl and Iraqis. This is a criminal action as well. Why is noone accepting this? Ahhhh, right! In all those hollywood movies US ppl are the good guys and other ppl always the bad guys.
Stop watching too many of those and confuse them with life. Please!
I can't believe these are your serious words. Somehow very scary to me.

Edit:
I know, not a very productive post. (some might even ask if I ever had any! ;)). But I wanted to get emotional as well. There was no personal offense in here, just my words shouting for a weider point of view. Cause this is what I believe the main difference between us (not just US) and ppl like Saddam Hussein. Everyone has a cruel part. Suppressing it by seeing all details is the solution and the main difference to those who commit terror and crime.

Wow. I agree entirely. Except that I think it was a productive post. The attack on Iraq was a wanton display of power for the benefit of a family feud, greed for oil (and the break up of OPEC), and a desire to have a legacy (Blair).
Also I think you are right, it requires thought to suppress our 'cruel' side. The easiest most obvious solution is not necessarily the best when ALL factors are considered.

Nuclear bombs weren't dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki for "test" reasons... Try Bikini Island or that base in Nevada... They were dropped to end a war, and it worked.

And about executing Saddam; let the Iraqis decide! If they decide to lock him up forever, so be it. If they decide to kill him, so be it! I don't see why we should argue about it here as if the U.S. military is going to do it.

MDLarson said:
Nuclear bombs weren't dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki for "test" reasons... Try Bikini Island or that base in Nevada... They were dropped to end a war, and it worked.
As all this is off topic all i shall say just that I don't agree. The war was won already, Japan was going to surrender, and the US knew it. However they surrendered sooner because of the bomb. There may have been two reasons for the bomb... (shock multiple motives :eek: )

MDLarson said:
And about executing Saddam; let the Iraqis decide! If they decide to lock him up forever, so be it. If they decide to kill him, so be it! I don't see why we should argue about it here as if the U.S. military is going to do it.

I agree on that, even if I am all for his execution; they do and should, have a right to handle him...as it was them who he caused the pain and suffering.

Muzgal said:
As all this is off topic all i shall say just that I don't agree. The war was won already, Japan was going to surrender, and the US knew it. However they surrendered sooner because of the bomb. There may have been two reasons for the bomb... (shock multiple motives )
I disagree...those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. Maybe Saddam had WMDs, maybe not. That doesn't detract from the atrocities he committed during his reign. We drug our feet during the start of WWII, and paid dearly for it (all the allies did, US included) in terms of lives and time.

Luckily we learned our lesson then, that it is our responsibiliy to ensure our own safety and a similar thing can be said among our allies.

Now, the whole problem with Japan in WWII was even though we drove them back, they weren't ready to surrender. If you think that you really need to take some courses on their culture, especially during that time period.

I mean, does kamikaze ring a bell? You're telling me a country, who inspired pilots to kill themselves using their own planes (and we're talking day in day out by a large sum) was just going to admit defeat because we were knocking at their door? The answer to that is a big NO. Had the bombs not been dropped, untold numbers of Allied soliders would have parished in the ensuing battles. There's no doubt about it, don't agree then check out the stats on the war for the 3 or 4 weeks leading up to their drop. It's plain as day.

There were other, more effective ways the troops in WWII could have committed murder on a large scale to end the war with Japan, like carpet bombing. They used the A-bomb more as a sign of power (one bomb, 100,000 casualties) than to merely end the war. It would have been quite easy to wipe Japan off the map.

mdnky said:
I disagree...those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. Maybe Saddam had WMDs, maybe not. That doesn't detract from the atrocities he committed during his reign. We drug our feet during the start of WWII, and paid dearly for it (all the allies did, US included) in terms of lives and time.
I am not sure if the Iraqis should judge Saddam, apart from anything else he cannot get a fair trial there, not that I think you would care. However my point about practising what we preach and the negative effect perceived hypocrisy would have on your (our) reputation the muslim countries still stands.

I don't agree about Japan, however I do see your point, though I agree with Arden. I am not a historian, and though I would willingly engage in a debate on that subject I shalln't because: a) I do not have the time to do the research, nor do I have my history texts with me at Univeristy b) I think the debate is probably futile anyway, as we put different values on human life (objectively at least I try to see each life as being of the same value, though I still would say that Saddam derserves to die. You on the other hand seem either to not view human life objectively, or to believe that the lives of people like you are worth more than others. I can genuinely see that is a valid position, it is just not one I would ever hold, objectively or morally, myself) (I would see the decision to save myself or family over others as a selfish decision, one that is morally dubious, but the decision I would make if in such a situation).

(incidentally one of the major causes of the political instability that triggered WWII was countries not going to the League of Nations for support for their actions)

I do not like this get them before they get you approach, which is the logical conclusion of what we would learn from the appeasement at the start of WWII. Apart from anything else the main reason for appeasement was that we were not ready to go to war. Chamberlain's little piece of paper bought time, not much, but even so the option of attacking Germany was not there, Britain could not afford an army at the time, and the US army was not so great that you guys wanted to fight on your own. Unfortunately it took us a long time to get armies to battle strength, and by that time it was two late. Appeasement wasn't just lilly livered liberals, it was more complex than that.
Attacking someone because you think they might attack you taken to its logical conclusion means attacking everyone, because they might attack you. So there has to be a cut off point, they must be an actual threat (as you cannot know whether they want to attack you... so you must just go by if they did, whether it would matter). I am afraid Iraq was not crossing that line, they were not a threat to the US, and would not have been this decade. And if you are telling me that American intelligence was really so bad that they did not how weak Iraq was then...

I caught some snippets of a Diane Sawyer interview with Bush this evening. Basically, I think Bush wants Saddam to burn in hell, but he's going to let the Iraqi people deal with him—or at least that's what he said. We'll have to wait and see if he keeps his word or not.

Muzgal said:
I am not sure if the Iraqis should judge Saddam, apart from anything else he cannot get a fair trial there, not that I think you would care. However my point about practising what we preach and the negative effect perceived hypocrisy would have on your (our) reputation the muslim countries still stands.
I agree, but when you commit genocide against men, women, and childred...of your own country...the you probably already have an idea, if ever caught, that your 'you know what' is grass.

Muzgal said:
You on the other hand seem either to not view human life objectively, or to believe that the lives of people like you are worth more than others. I can genuinely see that is a valid position, it is just not one I would ever hold, objectively or morally, myself (I would see the decision to save myself or family over others as a selfish decision, one that is morally dubious, but the decision I would make if in such a situation).
Why is this? Because I believe he should pay for what he's done? I'm sorry, but if you kill someone, or in this case multitudes of people, for any other reason other than by pure accident or self defense; then you deserve to loose you life.

I would die protecting someone I loved, my wife or children, before allowing harm to come to them. If someone attacked a friend of mine, I would also do anything possible to ensure our safety, and I have no quipes about using lethal force against someone attacking myself, or another, if the situation demands it be.

Muzgal said:
I do not like this get them before they get you approach, which is the logical conclusion of what we would learn from the appeasement at the start of WWII. Apart from anything else the main reason for appeasement was that we were not ready to go to war...........I am afraid Iraq was not crossing that line, they were not a threat to the US, and would not have been this decade. And if you are telling me that American intelligence was really so bad that they did not how weak Iraq was then...
Well, a good offense is the best defense. Regardless, the problem in WWII (leading up to it) was we let him rebuild his military, and did nothing with ours. In the begining, had we got our butts in gear and actually forced compliance with the Treaty of Versailles, which was very specific in saying no large military, WWII would have been avoided. By not acting, we paid a severe price and learned a hard lesson.

Iraq, Saddam in actuality, repeadtly violated the cease-fire agreed upon in the first Gulf War. He had been given way too many second chances, way too many warnings. Sound similar at all yet? Sure, he may not have been capable YET to cause any real harm, but that was only a matter of time.

Just something more for you guys to discuss:

The USA sold many weapons to Iraq in the war against Iran (the first Gulf War). I am originally from Iran and I lost many relatives during that time because of US weapons and Iraqi fingers on the trigger.
Now, what am I supposed to do now? Do I have the right to defend myself against this actions of USA and Iraq and walk over dead bodies?
It's not that I am full of anger. I was too young in those days to understand it all. But thinking of it and having Michaels (mdnky) attitude would force me to revange for this now that it happened, right?
Would you do so if you were in my situation, Michael? If not, why not? It was no "accident" in this case. USA knew what they were doing when they sold their weapons to Iraq..

This makes an interesting read ...

In Africa dictators, rebels, tribes and whatnot have been exterminating one another for ages, millions have died, upper classes ensure that they remain rich and in control while their subjects starve of hunger and AIDS. Why isn't the US of A bombing them to smithereens?
Israel is violating UN resolutions since it was founded, attacked countries, conquered land, is illegally occupying land, has a not-so-hidden WMD arsenal: what is the US of A doing? They lend them money to carry on. Strange world isn't it?
None of the 9/11 hijackers were from Iraq, several were from Saudi-Arabia, which by the way has strong ties with Osama Bin Laden ... I don't see the US of A bombing them though ...

Saddam must have a fair trial, in Iraq and cannot be sentenced to death. Why? Too many countries are in principle opposed to the death penalty. The US of A will never get support if they plan from the start to execute Saddam. Bush should never have said that he wanted him dead. The best would be a public trial by an UN established court in Iraq, just like the one in The Hague for Milosevic.

The reason for USA attacking Iraq and Saddam was because of the holocaust weapons, how they say. Did they find any?
Now, how perfect would it be, if they could make Saddam just say they had some?

Zammy-Sam said:
Just something more for you guys to discuss:

The USA sold many weapons to Iraq in the war against Iran (the first Gulf War). I am originally from Iran and I lost many relatives during that time because of US weapons and Iraqi fingers on the trigger.
Now, what am I supposed to do now? Do I have the right to defend myself against this actions of USA and Iraq and walk over dead bodies?
It's not that I am full of anger. I was too young in those days to understand it all. But thinking of it and having Michaels (mdnky) attitude would force me to revange for this now that it happened, right?
Would you do so if you were in my situation, Michael? If not, why not? It was no "accident" in this case. USA knew what they were doing when they sold their weapons to Iraq..

The war in question is most likely what's commonly known as the Iraq-Iran war. I think you need to learn not to believe everything you hear from rumors or see on TV first, and base it more on facts than conjecture. From what I have gathered, you seem hell-bent on Blamining the USA soley for problems that aren't necessarily all it's fault, and this is most likely based on disinformation.

Oh, and you better add France and Russia to the top of your list while your at it.

-France became the major source of Iraq's high-tech weaponry, in no small part to protect its financial stake in that country.
-The Soviet Union was Iraq's largest weapon's supplier, while jockeying for influence in both capitals. Israel provided arms to Iran, hoping to bleed the combatants by prolonging the war. And at least ten nations sold arms to both of the warring sides.
-The U.S. objective was not profits from the arms trade, but the much more significant aim of controlling to the greatest extent possible the region's oil resources.

http://www.zmag.org/zmag/articles/ShalomIranIraq.html

I can't say how I would handle it, but I wouldn't live in the past if that's what you're asking. I am interested in knowing if these relatives were civilian casualties, or were military. See, if they were the later then they knew what could happen and they were just as guilty as anyone else, if you apply your viewpoint of course.

In fact, during that war Iran turned into far worse of an agressor, employing terrorism over traditional means of warfare. You can argue all you want about it, but both sides were equally responsible for the events that took place.

But alas, we are getting way off the topic here.

Please, please don't drag Israel into this. I don't mind if you talk about them in the context of Iraq (providing weapons), but Israel is a topic for a different thread. I will debate you heavily about it in that thread, though.

One of Moore's letter writers said:
Wow, 130,000 troops on the ground, nearly 500 deaths and over a billion dollars a day, but they caught a guy living in a hole. Am I supposed to be dazzled?
Indeed... when was this war supposed to be over, again?

Cat,
Who was it who said that we shouldn't judge a person just because he changed his mind? Cicero I think...

American policy in the Middle East -sans Ysroel- has been consistent with it's principle of self-interest (national interest). It has always worked to secure the free flow of oil, either directly or by proxy. That was even the reason for unflinching support of Israel in the 50's and 60' as the Arab nations flirted with communism and fashioned Soviet-styled republics. Today there are different alignments, but the same cold-war mentality prevails in Washington, so the flip-flop is not as sinister as it may appear on the face.

Stupid and short sighted maybe, but not sinister.

And so the chickens still roost at home.

Originally Posted by One of Moore's letter writers
Wow, 130,000 troops on the ground, nearly 500 deaths and over a billion dollars a day, but they caught a guy living in a hole. Am I supposed to be dazzled?
That is a simplistic and immature way of puting it. Nobody is asking anybody to be dazzled by Saddam's capture, but at least the Democratic hopefuls gave Bush a day of respect... As I understand it, the administration itself did not promise or expect an amazing drop in terrorist attacks or anything. We don't need snide remarks, thanks.

Back