Safari 2.0.2 - Dictionary and Spell-Check not Working

forman

Registered
Before upgrading to MacOS 10.4.3 with Safari 2.0.2, I was able to right click (Mighty Mouse) on a word and the contextual menu would include a "Dictionary" entry to look up a word with Dictionary.app or provide alternate spellings if the word was misspelled. Since the upgrade, both of these features have disappeared from the contextual menu.

Has this happened to anyone else and, if so, is there a fix?

Michael.

I just partially solved the problem.

The option for "Dictionary" has reappeared in Safari's contextual menu after I went into the preferences for Dictionary.app and toggled the "Contextual Menu:" setting back and forth.

Suggested correct spellings for misspelled words still do not appear.

Michael.

Ah. I spoke too soon. The "Dictionary" entry and suggested correct spellings do not appear for me in the contextual menu in Safari text input boxes (like the one I'm typing in right now in the forum).

Has anyone else seen this problem after the upgrade?

Michael.

There are some spelling services if you do a search in /System such as:

/System/Library/Core Services/CarbonSpellChecker.bundle
/System/Library/Services/AppleSpell.service
/System/Library/Components/DictionaryService.component

You could see if you have correct access privileges: system R/W, wheel read-only, others read-only.

I also noticed ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.PopupDictDaemon.plist which could be another clue . . .

On another note, I've noticed that you lose some Dictionary functionality if you move the Dictionary app into a subfolder or anywhere other than /Applications. But I don't think that's your problem, though. Dictionary privileges should be system read/write, admin read/write, others read-only

Hope this helps,

Bryan

Back