Safari 2.0 it's fast!!

nietzsche2131

Registered
Well Safari! wow!! it's moving, i really haven't got into the RSS feeds, but wow Safari it fast, I'm at my college right now with a T1 connection and it's rendering as fast as Camino is which is great. I clean wiped my hard-drive for 10.4., well i want to download camino but can't get the nerve too. Oh well just wondering just anybody esle is having this much of a speed boost with Tiger?
Lastly I'm running 8A428, so yea the GM.

I guess I can't tell the difference anymore, since I'm _used_ to it. But yeah, when I first upgraded this PB to Tiger (around 8A420, I believe, earlier I only tested Tiger on an iBook or on a cleanly installed system on an external FW drive on the PB) I noticed it, too. ;)

Any chance that we'll start seeing Safari plugins like for Firefox? Lack of extensions is by far the main reason that I'm sticking with Mozilla...

I'm not sure what you mean exactly. There are things like Sogudi (great!) for Safari. I hear of Acid Search and PitHelmet lately. What exactly are you looking for?

Honestly, I'd switch today if it supported a full-featured google bar: BSD-only searches, Linux-only searches, image searches, site-searches, backward links. I can't tell you how heavily I rely on these features. As well, I have a wikipedia search bar that I use at least 10 times a week. I know that I could just type "wikipedia.com", but you know. Typing URLs is sooo 90s.

That's where Sogudi comes in. I type "m batman" to find imdb.com's search results for "batman". Similarly, I type "trailer batman" to search QuickTime's trailer site. Etc. You can define the search strings on your own.

fryke said:
That's where Sogudi comes in. I type "m batman" to find imdb.com's search results for "batman". Similarly, I type "trailer batman" to search QuickTime's trailer site. Etc. You can define the search strings on your own.
You can also mimic this functionality with PithHelmet. It's not entirely inuitive, but PithHelmet lets you "transmogrify" and URL into any other URL using regular expressions. It's VERY powerful. I have it set up so when I type "d word", it takes me to http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=word . I also use it to bypass certain "redirect" pages. And when doing an image search on Google, I use it to take me straight to the image I clicked on rather than Google's pointer page. Very handy.

PithHelmet's usefulness begins with powerful ad-blocking, but it extends a lot further. I honestly wouldn't ever use Safari without it.

Unless it isn't updated in a timely fashion and breaks Safari's capability to actually run. Like it just happened with the Safari 1.3 update and 10.3.9, eh. ;) ... I stay away from hacks that are known to do such things.

These Safari add-ons are a step in the right direction but they are nothing to the ease of use of the search bar in Firefox. The ability to select pretty much any search function in existence (from Google to Amazon and from Wikipedia to eBay) from a drop down menu is very powerful. I have grown very reliant on this feature and it is the main impediment to my switching back to Safari.

tscrace: get AcidSearch. it does exactly what you want. and it isn't limited to the engines listed on the mozilla pages. you goto a search engine or page with a search field. put something in. click search (or whatever it says). when the results finish loading, click on the little menu for the search bar, and select edit search channels. click the "New Channel" button and it should automagically detect the different values the engine uses, and put a search engine entry in under google. you can arrange and seperate (with seperators) the entries as well. http://www.pozytron.com/?acidsearch

Another program I use for drop-down selection of search engines is Butler. It's not a Safari add-on exactly (which is a good thing). It'll work with any browser, and it's available system-wide. Its search bar lives in your menu bar, or alternatively you can bring up a floating window with a search field by using a hotkey; I use both methods quite a bit, actually.

Butler is a bit confusing to set up, but it's worth the time to learn, IMO. It does a lot, and it's very useful. And, it's free.

Back