Safari 3.0 beta

I reinstalled Flash player, which then opened Safari to take me to the AdobeMacromedia site, and still had the problem. Closed Safari again, opened it and everything's fine.

But I can't get that far. At the point where I indicate which disk I want to use, all of them show up as unusable
Is "Safari" (the old version) in "/Applications/" or did you move it to another location (for example "/Applications/Internet/" or something like that)? Safari *must* reside in /Applications/ in order for the update to find it AFAIK. This goes for many Apple-supplied apps and tools. Only _after_ you've put Safari back in its place can you run the installer for the new beta is what I meant.

Safari *must* reside in /Applications/ in order for the update to find it AFAIK. This goes for many Apple-supplied apps and tools. Only _after_ you've put Safari back in its place can you run the installer for the new beta is what I meant.
I moved Safari 2 just before I installed Safari Beta and the install went just fine.

In hindsight I should have left it in Apps because of the way the beta install backed things up but I know how to put things back together if I need to. All the Safari components ended up in the backup archive except for Safari 2 itself.

I'm surprised no one has caught this yet, but Safari has an inspector now! This could be great for web developers.

Right-click ANY part of a web page, and there's new menu item; "Inspect Element." The inspector outlines which element on the web page you are looking at and the inspector window itself looks like an iphoto inspector. Very cool!

In Safari 3.0 beta, the "Reset Safari" command has been substantially improved, how offered users the option to customize the reset, and delete only select items. It also now has the capability to remove all website icons ("favicons"), which can have a surprisingly dramatic performance boosting effect for Safari.

Attachments

• ResetSafari.jpg
    ResetSafari.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 7
Right-click ANY part of a web page, and there's new menu item; "Inspect Element." The inspector outlines which element on the web page you are looking at and the inspector window itself looks like an iphoto inspector. Very cool!

I don't have this! I have Safari 3, on Mac OS 1.4.9... :(

You have to enable the Debug Menu for this.

In Terminal;

defaults write com.apple.safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

When I installed and used Safari 3.0 on my intel iMac I found that if I typed something into either the address box or the search box, and hit return or enter, nothing happened. I found the only way to get it to load a site whose address I manually typed in was to then drag the tiny site icon onto the tab of my choice. At first that was ok, but I found no similar workaround for the search field, making the browser too annoying and awkward to use.

Yeah, Safari has had tabs for a couple years now (since 2.0). Version 3 brings the ability to reorder tabs.

Sheepguy: Do you have any third-party add-ons to Safari installed, like Saft? It sounds like you might have a conflict. A lot of these add-ons don't work properly with version 3, and can cause some strange behavior.

Ok, so removing Sogudi helped, but I really hope that gets updated soon. I use Sogudi way too often to enjoy life without it. Esp. searching VersionTracker with it!

Speaking of VT, I've noticed it seems to load more slowly w/ Safari 3. other pages/sites load faster, but not VT. I wonder why? Of course, it may be the delay that safari uses before it displays loaded content; I think I used something to shorten or eliminate that a while back. Again, I'm sure the usual 3rd party devs will come out with solutions soon enough.

Thanks for the tip.

I often place a space before the name of programs I use a lot, so they are at the top of the list. The installer was not able to recognize this and so was complaining that I had no copy of Safari on my machine.

Removing the space did the trick

Back