Safari and Gmail

FlashMac

Registered
Anyone else noticed any issues with Safari on Gmail?

Basically, the shift key doesn't work for me. Pressing the shift key to get a capital letter not only does nothing but removes the cursor from the text-entry window. I am literally putting caps-lock on and off to enter 'I' and the beginning of a sentence, otherwise nothing happens. Its very irritating when you type quickly and forget until you realize your last three words weren't entered.

All other shift-key functions appear to work elsewhere, like in this text-entry box. I'm on 10.4.11, all software completely up to date.

Basically, the shift key doesn't work for me. Pressing the shift key to get a capital letter not only does nothing but removes the cursor from the text-entry window. ...
What you are describing is not general GMail behavior. It is not possible for a website to replicate the behavior that you describe. Check the View>Text Encoding> menu item with Safari. It should be set to View>Text Encoding>Default. I also suggest that you check your International preferences pane to ensure that your keyboard and language are set properly. Also, you need to be sure that you have not installed some kind of haxie that modifies keyboard behavior.

Yep, view encoding is Default, International Prefs are English for sorted lists and Standard for word break. No keyboard hacks.
Still happening, can type capitals with shift right here and now (Watch Me Go!), if I do put the cursor in the message body box of Gmail, hold shift and type a letter, that letter appears in capitals in the To: address text box.
Happens on my Dual-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro running 10.4, haven't tested it on my MacBook 10.5 but will do this evening.

Back