Safari and macosx.com's menus

Mikuro

Crotchety UI Nitpicker
In Safari 1.2, I liked the way macosx.com's "Quick Links" and "Search" menus worked — like menus. But in Safari 1.3 and 2.0, they animate when opening. It's slow, it's annoying, and it serves no purpose. It's Windows-like. What gives? Is there any way to get that animation to go away? It really bugs me.

Mikuro said:
In Safari 1.2, I liked the way macosx.com's "Quick Links" and "Search" menus worked — like menus. But in Safari 1.3 and 2.0, they animate when opening. It's slow, it's annoying, and it serves no purpose. It's Windows-like. What gives? Is there any way to get that animation to go away? It really bugs me.

It shouldn't be slow. It works fine for me... :confused:.

Mikuro said:
This behavior is not specific to Safari. It is somewhat Windows-like. I don't find it particularly slow. I have yet to make up my mind whether or not I like it.

Well, it's slow compared to no animation at all, that's for sure. And whenever something else is going on (say, another page loading in a tab, or even something in another app), it can be very annoying as you get about one frame per second.

If it's not specific to Safari, how come it just sprung up in version 1.3? Seems like a conscious decision made by Apple. Then again, maybe I just don't understand how the menu is defined in JavaScript/CSS/whatever. *shrug*

yeah, it's not specific to safari. it came about in the new version because new versions bring new features, one of which was probably better handling of whatever is used to make that happen. that's all.

Back