Safari and Microsoft Network

wapstar

iAussie
I am using a G5 running 10.3.2 and want to use Safari over a Windows network. I can connect to the internet through the network via IE. When I open IE it asks for my password and username and domain. (network settings) But when I open Safari it just says it cannot open the webpage etc. as there is no connection.
I would also like to be able to run software update but I cannot connect that way. The only way I can see the internet is through IE, I would much prefer to use Safari.
Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

- Do you connect through a proxy server? Are there proxy settings in MSIE?
- Have you set any proxy settings in your System Prefs --> Network --> Proxy tab?

Web Proxy and Secure Web Proxy are checked.

symphonix said:
- Do you connect through a proxy server? Are there proxy settings in MSIE?
- Have you set any proxy settings in your System Prefs --> Network --> Proxy tab?

I am not familiar with Proxy network solutions. Wondering why you don't use the internet share over your windows network. This way it will work very fine

IIRC Internet Explorer has built in Proxy Configuration Options. Meanwhile, Safari uses the OS's Proxy Settings.
Got to System Preferences>Network>(Your Network Adaptor)>Proxies and fill in the relevant information. The "Assist Me" Button will bring up the Network Assistant, which should help you configure your current location.

Zammy-Sam; The reason wapstar doesn't use Internet Connection Sharing (or whatever MS want to call it this month) is because (I Presume) he's on a Corporate Intranet, which only allows External Access through their Proxy Server (which is an MS Proxy Server). The Proxy Server has HTTP Access to the Internet and downloads the content on behalf of the Users Desktop Machine. The MS Proxy is notoriously incompatible with Unix based Proxy Servers, and non-MS Browsers.

Thanks Salvo

Yes I am on a corporate Intranet

I have set the Mac OS settings to match the IE proxies etc. (The assistant doesn't set it automatically for me anyway)
The one thing that is missing on the Mac OS settings is Host: when I log in to IE it asks for username, password and Host:

I guess this is one of the incompatibilities of which you speak?

Cheers
Wapstar

Back