Safari And the Special Character Window

AnnieO

Registered
While in Yahoo I opened my soecial characters palette (under Edit). However it seems to have got stuck and I can't make it go away. As it reappears very briefly everytime (evrytime!) my browser window is refreshed. It flashes but does not stay open so that I can try to close it. I have reset safari and emptied my cache. I have also restarted the computer and it still happens. Is this Safari or an operating problem

try trashing "com.apple.safari.plist" from your "user"/library/preferences folder

FYI use the search feature you are likely to find an answer before posting
and this question should be posted in Mac osx system & mac software forum
you get more exposed and thus more likely to get an answer faster.

hope this solves your problem and welcome to the forum

Unknown:
Macintosh model.
MacOS X version (jaguar - 10.2.x, Panther - 10.3.x, Tiger - 10.4.x).

Although I did not verify all Apple applications; but, it seems most (if not all) do included the 'Edit, Special Characters...' menu item. Some, but not many third party applications also include it.

The appearance of the 'Character Palette' floating window, by selecting the application's 'Special Characters...' menu item, is not an internal feature of that application.

Inside the '/System/Library/Components/' folder are '.component' files; which, within them are floating palette applications. Within 'CharacterPalette.component' is 'CharPaletteServer'; which, when launched produces the floating window titled 'Character Palette'.

Since 'CharPaletteServer' is independent of 'Safari'; resetting and / or quitting 'Safari', and / or clearing 'Safari's cache - should, and will, not have any affect on 'CharPaletteServer's behavior.

-----

With respect to 'I have also restarted the computer and it still happens. Is this Safari or an operating problem' - what are you saying?

01. Do you mean - when the Mac is turned OFF and then ON, or restarted (rebooted), 'CharPaletteServer' is automatically re-launched and the 'Character Palette' floating window reappears?
If so, launch 'System Preferences' ('/Applications/' folder), click on 'Accounts', click on 'Startup Items' (Panther - 10.3.x) or 'Login Items' (Tiger - 10.4.x) [see the reason for providing the version of System / MacOS X installed?].
Is 'CharPaletteServer' included in the right hand side list?
If so, click on 'CharPaletteServer' once, click the '-' icon button, beneath the list, and quit 'System Preferences'.

02. Or, do you mean - when the Mac is turned OFF and then ON, or restarted (rebooted), and when 'Safari' is launched - that the 'Character Palette' floating window reappears?

To possibly quit 'CharPaletteServer', should it be flashing about, launch 'Activity Monitor', click on 'CharPaletteServer', then the toolbar's 'Quit Process' icon button, and then the 'Force Quit' button of the drop down sheet.

Reply with the unknown information, results, and answers.

Back