Safari Bookmarks: two thoughts

thenightfly42

Registered
1. The bookmarks organizer is nice, but it seems to be inconsistent with iTunes and iPhoto. In these iLife apps, items are all in a big library, and are copied into folders as you drag them. In Safari, there is no main library, and items are moved.

2. There is no iTunes-style "find" box for the boomarks organizer. I'd love to start to type either the bookmark name OR some of the URL, and have my full Library (see above) actively shrink down as the matches become more specific.

Thoughts?

Originally posted by thenightfly42
1. The bookmarks organizer is nice, but it seems to be inconsistent with iTunes and iPhoto. In these iLife apps, items are all in a big library, and are copied into folders as you drag them. In Safari, there is no main library, and items are moved.

2. There is no iTunes-style "find" box for the boomarks organizer. I'd love to start to type either the bookmark name OR some of the URL, and have my full Library (see above) actively shrink down as the matches become more specific.

Thoughts?
1. Agreed, somewhat inconsistent. But not necessarily bad.

2. This would be very handy to have.

I can't seem to figure out how to manually add a bookmark. (i.e., not "click here to add the page I'm sitting on," but rather type in a name and type in a URL manually.)

Is this possible?

Scottish

I was wondering that, i'm mad about pulling in my IE bookmarks. You can drag them over, one by one, but the names are lost, they take on whatever comes before the .html. Plus you can't access them from the menubar like IE which is very useful, now you have to go into the book marks, find the mark, then click it.

Edit* I see you can if you drag each folder, not too bad i guess

Urbansory: Do this:

Open Bookmarks -> Show All Bookmarks

Now, look way at the bottom of the list. See the entry: Imported IE Favorites? There you go. :cool:

Originally posted by Urbansory
Plus you can't access them from the menubar like IE which is very useful, now you have to go into the book marks, find the mark, then click it.
In the Bookmarks organizer, the top two items in the Folders side are (working from memory) Bookmarks Menu and Bookmarks Toobar. Move the folders or individual bookmarks to those folders, and you get them. I guess that's what Steve means about Thinking Different.

Apple's url completion is weak. Explorer's is still the best in that it will perform a substring search from all urls and titles then sort the result in a convenient manner.

Is there a way to sort bookmarks by name? Am I a big idiot? Dragging bookmarks into a folder puts thewm at the bottom, but I would like all the folders to be alphabetical.

No, really. Is there a way? I know this is bad form to just get this subject back to the top, but this question is bugging me.

I can't seem to figure out how to manually add a bookmark. (i.e., not "click here to add the page I'm sitting on," but rather type in a name and type in a URL manually.)

Is this possible?

Sure it's possible. When you show all bookmarks, you'll see two plus signs at the bottom of the window, just like in iTunes and iPhoto. Click on the left plus sign and you'll get a new folder. Click on the right plus sign and you'll get a new bookmark. You can then type in the name and URL manually.

Chris

The bookmarks organizer is nice, but it seems to be inconsistent with iTunes and iPhoto. In these iLife apps, items are all in a big library, and are copied into folders as you drag them. In Safari, there is no main library, and items are moved.

I see your point. But it still makes sense to me the way it is, because in iTunes and iPhoto it's obvious that there is a library. But in Safari, the user knows there isn't a library of bookmarks. By the way, you can make a library of bookmarks if you want to by keeping all of them in one folder. Then you can make "playlist" folders and option-drag bookmarks to copy them.

There is no iTunes-style "find" box for the boomarks organizer. I'd love to start to type either the bookmark name OR some of the URL, and have my full Library (see above) actively shrink down as the matches become more specific.

That would be neat. Why don't you send a feature request to Apple? In the meantime, the find command does work in the bookmark window.

Chris

Originally posted by chabig
I see your point. But it still makes sense to me the way it is
I think I agree as well; but I found it disconcerting when I used it the first time, so I wanted to see what others thought.

That would be neat. Why don't you send a feature request to Apple?
Already done.

Originally posted by Urbansory
I was wondering that, i'm mad about pulling in my IE bookmarks. You can drag them over, one by one, but the names are lost, they take on whatever comes before the .html. Plus you can't access them from the menubar like IE which is very useful, now you have to go into the book marks, find the mark, then click it.

Edit* I see you can if you drag each folder, not too bad i guess
Use Safari Enhancer to import your IE bookmarks. I did it with the newest version this morning.:cool:

Originally posted by strobe
Apple's url completion is weak. Explorer's is still the best in that it will perform a substring search from all urls and titles then sort the result in a convenient manner.
How does this relate to the discussion of bookmarks? :)

Back