Safari Browser Won't Download

lwilliams

Registered
Please help. I love the Safari browser but when I hit a download link it just blinks the screen a little and doesn't download. I check the downloads from the pulldown menu and nothing blank. I have tried many different items and none with a download yet.
Thanks
Bill

I've found a few specific web sites (for instance, Continental Airlines') that Safari seems not to work with - in just the way you describe. The only remedy I've found is to use Camino for those.

Is it one specific page that gives you problems, or all of them?

It's all the links that won't download.
I have tried the option key. Seems like it is just a bug in Safari.
Thanks

I don't know what causes this...
It doesn't work in explorer either, so it would have to do with downloads settings in the machine, not just safari... can you download from the same pages with IE?
The safari on my girlfriend's iMac downloads from pages that I couldn't with my G4... so I know it's not the links...

Maybe it's a software we installed which messed things up...
Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks. D.

I've seen this when downloading from Versiontracker.com.

I get to the page that says... "if you're download hasn't started, click here" most of the time, in other browsers, I don't have to do anything, but in Safari, I almost always have to click on the link.

Not sure what the cause of this is, perhaps there's something in the original download request that gets skipped since it's combined with the page fulfillment request.

I don't know if I would call this a bug, seems more like a compliance issue between Safari and whatever call to action the code uses.

It would seem to me that option clicking would solve the problem, since that forces Safari to initiate the download.

You could try looking at the source code, copying the href and manually insert it into the address filed... at least that would tell you that the downloading actually works but it's the initial action that is failing.

Back