Safari Crashes

bkreit

Registered
Pretty much any time I attempt to open Safari, and if I leave it open, any time I attempt to load a webpage, Safari takes an inordinantly long time to process--often giving the crashing rainbow cursor for between 15 and 30 seconds before loading. During this period, the Activity monitor lists Safari as not responding, and the program eats up at least 60% (though usually more) of the cpu%. In other words, Safari is essentially unusable.
I have a G4 12" powerbook 1.5 ghz with 512 megs of RAM and run on a wireless network. I recently had to archive and reinstall my system when the computer became unable to run or accept system updates, and the Safari problem seems to have developed since then.
That said, I have a couple of questions:
1) Is there some fix to make Safari function? I would prefer it to Firefox, but obviously, I can't use Safari at the moment.
2) My laptop is still under warranty, and will be for about six more months. Given the abundance of problems (this Safari crash, the computer's inability to receive system software updates, and a third problem with the power management unit where the computer occasionally shuts off when put to sleep which has not been resolved by resetting the power unit) should I consider getting this examined by Apple before my warranty expires?

And help/suggestions/insight are greatly appreciated.

1) About Safari, delete the Safari plist file. Empty trash. Log out and back in again. See if there's any improvement.
2) Tell us more about the Software Update problem. Yes, do have your computer looked at as far as the PMU is concerned...out of interest, how did you reset your PMU?

My Safari crashes infrequently, but when it does, it's usually on a page where there is an ad that has lots of motion. It happens a lot on the weather.com site when I try to check local weather and there's a particular Expedia or Verizon ad. Other ads work ok. And sometimes on the New York Times website.

Thanks for getting back to me--much appreciated. Throwing out the safari.plist file/restarting didn't seem to do much good. Loading anything in Safari still seems to overload my processer and crash/cause a near-crash. But I'll definitely give Camino a try.
In terms of the software update problem--I actually took it to a mac store a couple months ago because of that and the power management issues in an attempt to get them to take the laptop to some repair people, and was told to reinstall the system, which took care of updating problems... (although the Safari problem appeared more or less immediately after I reinstalled the system.) They more or less blew me off (which is frustrating, since I've worked as a typesetter and doing basic computer networking stuff and usually can spot a major problem), and reset the pmu using the key command stroke and said that should solve the problem. I've since tried resetting the PMU, but my understanding is that the power management really should not have regular problems, especially since I rarely unplug my laptop, use an expensive surge protector, etc.
I'm fairly certain I should take my laptop in the next point I can be without it for a week or two and get it to some hardware techs before my warranty expires--I'd prefer to avoid the inconvenience though, as I'm a grad student and rely pretty heavily on my computer, since I use it for both work and personal purposes. If there is some other thing that I could do to attempt to fix the power management problems (which again, is that it sometimes, though infrequently, does not wake up after being put to sleep until I restart the computer), I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks again for the help.

Back