Safari Dead because of Facebook Hack?

coolio2654

Registered
Something serious, but not too bad, maybe , , , has shown up. Every time I turn on my Safari, I get something like in the pics on the bottom. Menu, preferences, even popular tabs still work, but nothing seems to connect, even though the rest of my mac works fine, and my Firefox (which I'm typing this by) works fine. I reset my comp numerous times to no avail, and (surprisingly) was able to send an error report. So what's up? Does anyone else have experience with this sort of bug? The only clue I have of its origin is that (using Firefox), I fell for :( one of facebook's newest scams, in which a group was promising to find your "profile page stalkers" if you pasted some code into your browser. I did, and obviously my facebook account was compromised, as I linked the group to all my friends. Maybe this transferred to my Safari, as it died soon after? Please help people, if I'm phished I'm not too worried, as I don't store any password anywhere, but I'd extremely appreciate any word of advice.

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    61.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    403.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Please report that group in Facebook if you haven't done that already.

Then, in Safari, go to Safari > Reset Safari...
Let us know if that makes any difference for the behavior.

Also change your Facebook password (and the password for any other site you might use the same password/username/email address combination for).

Is there any alternative that doesn't include resetting Safari? I'll reset it if I have to.

EDIT. I actually resetted Safari and it didn't work. I kept my history and stuff like that, but cleared all cookies, etc. What now?

Last edited:
It doesn't relate to the Facebook thing, but out of curiosity, can you go to System Preferences > Network > Advanced > Proxies and see if anything is enabled for HTTP or HTTPS? I ask because Safari uses the proxy set there for web access while Firefox doesn't (by default).

Also, in Safari, what do you see when you go to Window > Activity?

For the system preferences proxy, thing, neither HTTP nor HTTPS is enabled or anything.
And for Safari, I see the regular stuff, cause after resetting Safari and then restarting the computer, Safari started working again! Though I wouldn't want this to happen again, so anyone do you know why this happened?

Back