Safari Features - Password storing, status bar, all included

ScottW

Founder
Staff member
I have read a few complaints about Safari.

1) It has no status bar at the bottom to see where a link goes before clicking on it. Go to "View" -> "Status bar" and it appears.

2) Doesn't remember passwords. I went to a site and logged in and it at an option to remember passwords, on sites that where based on web server authentication and not web page authentication.

Just thought I would drop a line. Seems like many of the complaints are because people haven't tested it out.

But no, I haven't found any hidden "tabs".

It really is much faster than Chimera. It works great. Sure, some features need to be added, but it is a great start and gives room to grow.

It rulz. Doesn't work with hotmail, but that's probably because hotmail's using some funky javascript.

It's very fast at going back and forward to already cached pages. And it scrolls very fast as well.

Yea, I have my bookmarks page doesn't allow me to login, almost like a cookie or HTTP POST issue of some sort. I don't know.

But, I am sure it will be resolved. I wouldn't be surprised to see some rather "fast" updates to this browser to slow the number of "same bugs" being reported.

OOps, didn't see that you knew how to show status bar. Stupid me, I should read the whole thread before responding =p.

I really like Safari. Actually I left Internet Explorer some months ago since I discovered Chimera Navigator, wich was great for me.
But it had been crashing a lot lately, I don't know why. Today I got 4 crashes!! But that was before I discoverd Safari. I think it's great, although I still think there's a lot much work to do on it.

in speaking with one of the developers of safari today - he promises it will be and remain the fastest browser on the platform. the next goal is to make it faster than a certain other platform. the standard they want to acheive is linux text browsing speed with a gui and full function.

oh by the way this guy used to work on netscape navigator and he said something about working on it, and hell. :D

A feature that i think is cool in Safari, is when you "mouse over" a link it will tell you in the "Status bar" if it is going to open in a new window.......small but cool feature

FTP is not handled!

FTP is redirected to Finder to handle. However, Finder handles FTP sluggishly that it cannot be used at all.

The scrolling is super fast and smoothe in Safari. The GIFs run very, VERY smoothly. I mean look at my avatar! I think it needs tabbed browsing, pop-up blocking and maybe an auction manager.

BTW - It looks good with an aqua scheme too.

Attachments

• safari_aqua.jpg
    safari_aqua.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 152
I didn't see the "it's going to open a new window" feature in the status bar, must keep my eyes open for that. Quite surprised that there is a pop-up blocker in a beta, especially given some of the other features that people are "missing".

Interesting keyboard navigation. In ie when one opens a new window with a cmd-click, the original widow is 'behind' it and can be gotten to with a cmd-shift-tilde. On Safari, when you cmd-click a link, the new window appears in front of you, but the original window is accessed with a cmd-tilde, making it sort of ahead of the new window. Just an interesting change of browser habits.

One small thing that I am fighting with is the ability to type a new address in the browser bar and cmd-return to open a new window. I have not been able to determine if there is a new key combination for this, or if it just isn't in the beta.

All in all, a very natural transition. Also very impressed that it automatically imported ie bookmarks. heh, heh - saves me some trouble - I wonder if they will autoupdate if I cheat back to ie at all?

The great thing about the pop-up blocker is that it's not buried in a preference pane. It can be enabled/disabled with a simple keystroke!

good things about safari:

don't forget to get yer safari applescripts.

personally I'm going to look at the full screen mode script and also at the script that imports an image to iPhoto.

and of course, you can use Cocoa gestures with safari!!!

once you start using cocoa gestures you'll wonder how you ever lived without them.

initially I'm starting with option-click (middle click when I get another mouse) and the following:
move mouse from right to left to go to back
move mouse from left to right to go forward
move mouse down and up to close window
move mouse left and down to bring up print window

i'll add more gestures as I get more familiar with Safari...

sorry for the extra post, but Safari actually opens up another window clicking on a link out of mail. I could not get ie to do that to save myself.

since I forgot to mention it before, the integrated google in the toolbar is a wonderful feature. and I am happy about the favourites/bookmarks management.

I assume it's just me, but safari blows. It's the slowest browser I have, aka the 6th fastest. I don't know what's going on, but it really blows. It doesn't load half the graphics. I'm on a dual processor machine. Anyone else experiencing "Serious Safari Suck?"

I would comment on the UI, but since I'm not convinced that it's working right on my machine, my thoughts might not be relevant.

Back