Safari/Firefox won't display movies in-browser

mirwincdn

Registered
Hi,

I recently installed Flip4Mac (v 2) on my machine. Since then, every time I attempt to view a video clip (.mov/.wmv) in either Safari or Firefox, I get a black screen that shows the text "(no picture)" in white. There aren't even any player controls, just black.

I uninstalled Flip4Mac and deleted all preferences and files, but the problem still remains. I tried restarting the computer as well-- same result.

Any thoughts?

mirwincdn said:
Hi,

I recently installed Flip4Mac (v 2) on my machine. Since then, every time I attempt to view a video clip (.mov/.wmv) in either Safari or Firefox, I get a black screen that shows the text "(no picture)" in white. There aren't even any player controls, just black.

I uninstalled Flip4Mac and deleted all preferences and files, but the problem still remains. I tried restarting the computer as well-- same result.

Any thoughts?

I'd look in the "Internet Plug-Ins Folder" and remove any references to Flip4Mac. Also, I'd try reinstalling Quicktime.

What sites are you trying to view content on? Post a link and I'll check 'em out. Could be that these sites are offering, yet another, streaming format that isn't compatible yet.
Also, try creating a new user account and test media playback from there without anything extra installed. Then install Flip4Mac and see what happens. You might have another plugin conflict with something like Popwire or DivX.

Antonio:
It's not one specific site, it's all sites with embedded quicktime or windows media-- pages I've been to multiple times before with no problem. These are usually personal html pages with pre-production test footage in various QT formats (I'm a cinematographer), but it also happens with random links I recieve to .wmv clips on sites like Kontraband, Ebaum's, etc. YouTube works fine.

I checked the Internet Plugins Folder, and there was no remnants of Flip4Mac. There is a VLC plugin in the folder. Could that be a conflict? Otherwise, everything else is default. Not sure if this is an issue, but I use DefaultApps (a utility for the System Preferences that aids in reassigning file types to different apps. I checked the settings and they seem correct.)

mirwincdn said:
Antonio:
It's not one specific site, it's all sites with embedded quicktime or windows media-- pages I've been to multiple times before with no problem. These are usually personal html pages with pre-production test footage in various QT formats (I'm a cinematographer), but it also happens with random links I recieve to .wmv clips on sites like Kontraband, Ebaum's, etc. YouTube works fine.

I checked the Internet Plugins Folder, and there was no remnants of Flip4Mac. There is a VLC plugin in the folder. Could that be a conflict? Otherwise, everything else is default. Not sure if this is an issue, but I use DefaultApps (a utility for the System Preferences that aids in reassigning file types to different apps. I checked the settings and they seem correct.)

You could try removing the VLC plugin. Just be sure to back it up in case you want to restore it.

OK, I'm an idiot. Turns out that the VLC internet plugin was the problem and was blocking QT/Flip4Mac from loading in browsers. All is well now.

Thanks for all the help guys!

mirwincdn said:
OK, I'm an idiot. Turns out that the VLC internet plugin was the problem and was blocking QT/Flip4Mac from loading in browsers. All is well now.

Thanks for all the help guys!

You're not an idiot.

I'm glad that the solution worked out for you.

Back