Safari keeps crashing

akboy

Registered
Over the past few months, Safari has been acting weird for me. It was like it suddenly became fragile. It started "unexpectedly quiting" when I did things like work with two windows at the same time or clicking on a link while a page is still loading. It didn't happen very often, but it seems to be occuring more often now. At first I thought it was my school's servers, we are getting more students and it's stretching our network, but it's still crashing now that I'm at home. Is there anything I can do to let me use Safari like I used to?

I'm running OSX 10.3.9 and Safari 1.2 (v125)

I deleted the existing prefrences file and I think I fixed it, but I would still like to upgrade to 1.32. Does anyone know why it said "You cannot install this software on this volume. This system cannot use this software" about the upgrade?

Probably because you are still running Panther and not Tiger?

What? I'm trying to install Safari 1.3.2. Apple's download page lists OSX 10.3.9 as a system requirement, and I'm running 10.3.9. The update description says "Safari version 1.3.2 for Mac OS X Panther improves website compatibility, application stability and support for 3rd party web applications." So why isn't it letting me install this update?

You tell me. It was a question. I'm trying to get you to think laterally. Chances are that nobody here can guess the cause of your problem but we can make you think about the possibilities.

You tell me. It was a question. I'm trying to get you to think laterally. Chances are that nobody here can guess the cause of your problem but we can make you think about the possibilities.

Whatever the reason, it was rather unhelpful. Not to mention that it makes you look foolish. :)

Now, to the original poster: Apple's website says that you need to first download and install Safari 1.3.1 (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/safariupdate131.html) before you can use the 1.3.2 updater. Maybe check on that first.

Actually, I tried 1.3.1 right after 1.3.2 and I got the same thing. So I need to download and install the updates between 1.2 and 1.3.2 to get it to work. Do you know how many there are?

I'm not sure if that necessarily follows...Are you up-to-date on all Apple's other updates? Perhaps running the 1.3.2 updater before the 1.3.1 one somehow corrupts the Safari application, you could try downloading the 1.2 version from Apple and running that first.

Back