Safari & Keychain Conundrum (Account Reset)

CopaceticElvis

Registered
I could not find anything close to the situation that happend to me last night via the forum search, so here I am...

New to Macs and still learning as I go, but everything has been superb until last night. Opened Safari to check some news and I got an error message as soon as Safari opened (homepage is still set to: livepage.apple.com). The error message was relating to being unable to verify something in my keychain; do I wish to correct or continue wihout change? I selected to continue without change and closed all apps and restarted. As I am slowly moving from Windows, this seemed like the appropriate thing to do as that is what works with that OS.

When I logged back in to my account (master account on Mac Mini), all settings were reset and or gone (i.e. mail had to be redone, apps dropped into the dock were gone, iDVD was replaced with a question mark, my Docs; Movies; Music and Pictures folders are now non-descript folder icons...). I have been able to reconfig things back to where they were and all seems normal. I am very confused by this and worried that it might happen again and therefore mean resetting things again (and again, and again, etc).

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

'Elvis :confused:

CopaceticElvis said:
I could not find anything close to the situation that happend to me last night via the forum search, so here I am...

New to Macs and still learning as I go, but everything has been superb until last night. Opened Safari to check some news and I got an error message as soon as Safari opened (homepage is still set to: livepage.apple.com). The error message was relating to being unable to verify something in my keychain; do I wish to correct or continue wihout change? I selected to continue without change and closed all apps and restarted. As I am slowly moving from Windows, this seemed like the appropriate thing to do as that is what works with that OS.

When I logged back in to my account (master account on Mac Mini), all settings were reset and or gone (i.e. mail had to be redone, apps dropped into the dock were gone, iDVD was replaced with a question mark, my Docs; Movies; Music and Pictures folders are now non-descript folder icons...). I have been able to reconfig things back to where they were and all seems normal. I am very confused by this and worried that it might happen again and therefore mean resetting things again (and again, and again, etc).

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

'Elvis :confused:
Have you established or tryed to establish an account on your homepage? The Keychain automatically provides the username and password for your various and sundry accounts. The error message said that you were trying to log into an account for which the Keychain had the wrong data. The correct response was to "correct" the misinformation. You had no reason to restart or even to logoff.

Back