Safari/Mail, periodically unresponsive.

wantok

Registered
Safari in particular[and Mail] becomes unresponsive several times a week. The only solution I've found to this has been in Network Utility/Info.

Always. the network interface has defaulted to Firewire (fw0); nothing happening there, and clicking back to Ethernet (en0) gets things back to normal again. However the network interface invariable defaults back to (fw0) within a few days, and so it goes.
Macbook on Airport Express and Touch on wifi not affected.

Is there anyway to prioritise (en0) to stop this happening?
Any ideas why this might be happening, [for last six months or so?]

Many thanks,

Brett Harbeck
Mount Isa
Australia

iMac 20" 10.6.2 connected by ethernet.
Macbook 10.6.2 by airport express.
Lacie firewire drive turned on weekly or so for SuperDuper backups only.

When you go to the Network System Pref pane, does it list Airport (it should have this as a choice in the list along with Firewire and Ethernet). If it has Airport is it reporting this service as "not connected"? Is the Airport the top most service in the list (I think it is suppose to be the top most).

There are threads on the internet where upgrading to Snow Leopard lead to intermittent wireless access. I wonder if you loose the Airport signal or link, if the computer is not just going to the next service on the list. Is your problem related to the time when you upgraded to Snow Leopard?

Cam,
Yes, in the Pref pane the list was Ethernet,Firewire,Airport, [reporting 'Inactive']
Using the drop down preference I reset the service order to Airport, Ethernet, Firewire.
Not positive but think this does coincide with Snow Leopard Installation.

Although this occurs only on my iMac and ethernet, I feel rearranging the service order is the answer.

I think you may have nailed this one, thank you for your help.

Back