Safari...no home button? and...

Roadie

Registered
maybe i dont want to smooth the fonts. Smaller fonts should have hard edges so they are easier to read.

Am I missing the "home" button somewhere?

And no autofill...ouch.

actually its under the history menu...but who wants it there? people are conditioned for a home button on the browser window, thats where it should be.

Originally posted by Roadie
actually its under the history menu...but who wants it there? people are conditioned for a home button on the browser window, thats where it should be.

the home button may be activated in the view menu. take a look it's right there under "back/forward".

I don't think I've ever used the "home" button on any browser, probably never knew it was there. Now that I've found it, I still don't think I'll have any use for it.:p

Never use Home or Search buttons... just back & forward, stop and reload.

Scott

If you go to the safari site at www.apple.com it says it has java support.

So far I have to agree with Apple, it is faster, and it has far less problem with sites than OmniWeb, Chimera or Opera. I think that Safari might probably mean the end of OmniWeb

It could mean the end of Chimera as well. If Safari is open source, why not just focus efforts on one browser.

according to the plugin page, there is a java plugin installed for safari (presumably it uses the plug in the library folder)

So far so good... BUT of all places it won't open apple.com. Can't load the images for some reason.

And as long as it lacks tabbed browsing I'll stick with Chimera.

Opens all Apple pages fine for me. This is the fastest browser I've used in X.

Yeah, it's working now. Not sure what that was all about. It IS a beta, so I can't get too upset. But tabbed browsing is a must once you've grown used to it.

Originally posted by ScottW
If Safari is open source, why not just focus efforts on one browser.

Actually, Safari is not Open Source. As far as I understood, it is just the KHTML rendering engine, that Apple had to give back to the Open Source Community because it's been released under the GNU Public License. (or am I wrong? not 100% sure) -- So, all in all no big deal, Stevie just mentioned it explicitly in his keynote.

But, it's freeware anyway, If you mean that...

It would be nice if it were open source, because then I'm sure we'd see changes made by the community to get tabbed browsing and all that in there.

Anyway, the only other thing it is seriously lacking is spellchecking support. It seems to do other services, not sure why that's missing.

So I'm using safari right now and these are other things i would like:

bookmarks as a side bar, not the whole page
tabs
better buttons
more preferences - customize buttons, colors, clear url location bar .... etc
print preview

what i like:

java works
flash works
html form elements look just like aqua

more to come as i play around with this, this is the first page i hit up.

Back