Safari Not Working

ScottW

Founder
Staff member
A friend has Panther installed. He said Safari quit working on him about a month ago. It loads, but acts like he has no internet connection. IE loads pages just fine.

He installed Safari 1.2 this morning and now Safari just quits when he launches it.

Any ideas? I haven' thad time to go look at it myself.

Well, prior to yesterday, you couldn't reinstall Safari on 10.3. But guess you can now.

ScottW said:
Well, prior to yesterday, you couldn't reinstall Safari on 10.3. But guess you can now.

Sure you could. Of course, it required the use of Pacifist. But it could be done.

ScottW said:
A friend has Panther installed. He said Safari quit working on him about a month ago. It loads, but acts like he has no internet connection. IE loads pages just fine.

He installed Safari 1.2 this morning and now Safari just quits when he launches it.

Any ideas? I haven' thad time to go look at it myself.

Tell him to trash the safari plist file (.../home/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist). I am quite positive this will fix all.

Edit: Oops, plist was mentioned before. My fault!

Check for bad fonts.
Make sure the hard drive name doesn't have any odd characters.

If nothing else works, trash all of Safari, do a search for everything. Just backup the Bookmarks.

Then download the standalone installer from Apple and install.

bobw said:
Check for bad fonts.
Make sure the hard drive name doesn't have any odd characters.

If nothing else works, trash all of Safari, do a search for everything. Just backup the Bookmarks.

Then download the standalone installer from Apple and install.

Very good Bob... it was a bad font. Crazy stuff.

Back