Safari on 10.3.9 chuggin' like a Turtle!

spgmr2005

Registered
i have been noticing that my Safari has been running a bit slower than usual. i have also noticed that some programs are booting slower, too. I have 768MB of RAM running on my PowerBook G4 1GHz. The version of my safari is 1.3.2 Is there any reason for everything to be slowing down? I do regular check-ups on my mac with Tech Tool Pro 4. Can anyone help me speed up my mac?

Thanks in advance!

How much hard drive space do you have available? OS X uses disk space as virtual memory, and you can observe this (and your actual RAM usage) using the Activity Monitor. When your hard drive starts to become very full (say, less than 10% of the disk is "free"), you'll notice things start to slow down.

You may like to try and clean out the cache folder

~user/Library/cache/safari and trash the contents

Another trick is to locate Safari in the finder, get info and deselect the languages you don't use, this trick can be done on a number of applications for better performance, such as iPhoto etc....

but also follow bbloke's advice and make sure you have plenty of harddisk space ;)

Good point! Yes, I rather forgot the Safari-specific tips... ;)

Safari can get slowed down by Flash and ads sometimes, but it also tends to swallow large amounts of memory if left running for long periods. It's worth quitting it when not in use, therefore. Also, I believe Safari can be slowed down by auto-complete/auto-fill if large amounts of data are stored or if lots of fields appear on a web page.

Hopefully, between sirstaunch's ideas and mine you might have a solution! :)

i have 20gigs left on my 40gig hard drive, so that wasn't the problem. i never thought about clearing the cache, which seemed obvious to begin with. thanks for the help. i'll try them, and hopefully the work.

this is going to sound incredibly stupid, but as i was high lighting and removing the cache, i accidentally scrolled over whatever icon is above "network" icon and dragged it into one of my cache folders, and now i can't get it back. what can i do? lol

Oh no LOL

you might have to go out and get a mouse license and learn which way to steer, so I'd say there is no harm in emptying any cache folder, so do them all and ya should be right ;)

Back