safari or firefox for 9.2?

Actually, Netscape 4.x was never a really good browser in my opinion. Bloated even back then. But worse: Many, many sites do not display well in it anymore, because of an almost total lack of CSS support in Netscape 4.x. I'd definitely go with iCab on an OS 9 computer. It's lightweight enough to be speedy and has good support for newer technologies.

That's actually good to know on Netscape 7. Which Mozilla version is that based on?

google says mozilla 1.0. well, actually some site, but you know, googling. :)

Netscape's engine is Gecko, which is their non-open source version of Mozilla. Mozilla was based on "Netscape 5" source code, which was why there was no Netscape 5.x releases.

But Netscape 7.0.2 is still pretty old... and even though it does use technologies from the Mozilla project, it was released in late 2002 as I recall. So it would be comparable to whatever was current back then I would guess.

If Netscape 7 works too slow on your computer, you can also try Netscape 6, it works fine on my computer.

Geek #2 said:
If Netscape 7 works too slow on your computer, you can also try Netscape 6, it works fine on my computer.
I don't know... Netscape 6 was so buggy that most everyone I knew that tried it quickly went back to using Netscape Communicator 4.7x. I would recommend Communicator 4.8 before Netscape 6.

In fact I carry a ton of browsers compatible with most versions of the Mac OS (from 7.x to 10.4.x) and the one browser I don't carry with me is Netscape 6.

Also, as I recall, Netscape continued to update Communicator until Netscape 7 was released because of the stability issues with Netscape 6. Communicator 4.8 (the final version) was released at the same time as Netscape 7.0, where as I seem to recall that Communicator 4.6x was current at the time of the Netscape 6 release.

Back