safari secure connection

rhaneski

Registered
hoping for some help here.

Safari will not connect to https sites like .mac or hotmail.
An error on .mac says the certificate was signed by an unknown certifying authority.

Other secure sites says safari was unable to establish a secure connection to...

Yes the date and time are correct.
Firefox and Netscape both work for secure sites.

Any ideas are welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Unlike Netscape and Firefox, Safari has hooks into your keychain for SSL certificate validation. It is a great feature, but when it goes bad, it can have strange effects. Clear the contents of ~/Library/Keychains and log in again...

rhaneski said:
hoping for some help here.

Safari will not connect to https sites like .mac or hotmail.
An error on .mac says the certificate was signed by an unknown certifying authority.

Other secure sites says safari was unable to establish a secure connection to...

Yes the date and time are correct.
Firefox and Netscape both work for secure sites.

Any ideas are welcome.
Thanks in advance.

many responses have suggested obtaining the root certificate. How does one get the root certificate. the one that is in the sytem appears to be corrupt or damged in some way.

i have tried adding it to to the x509 with no luck. yes i have admin privledges.

rhaneski said:
many responses have suggested obtaining the root certificate. How does one get the root certificate. the one that is in the sytem appears to be corrupt or damged in some way.

i have tried adding it to to the x509 with no luck. yes i have admin privledges.
MacOS X ships with just about every root certificate known to man. You can access them through the Keychain Access utility.

1. Open Keychain and and perform Keychain First Aid (under Keychain menu).
2. Most likely you will encounter an error with x509Anchors file (First Aid won't be able to fix it, because the file doesn't exist).
3. You can copy the file from another system or from any OS X installation CD to /System/Library/Keychains/ (the location of the file is the same on the CD

Copying the folders from another os (10.3.9) to the 10.4.4 worked (sort of)

When I copy them as an admin user the admin user can make the secure connections but when I login as the other user and delete the login keychain and recreate it that user cant login.

what did I miss.
Thanks

This solution from another MacOSX.com thread worked for me, when I could not access any SSL sites, such as Google, Gmail, or my bank:

1. open System Preferences
2. click Network
3. click the network device you are using (for me that is an Airport), and click Configure
4. Click Proxies
5. In the list in the scroll box on the left, click "Secure Web Proxy (HTTPS"
6. Click "Apply now"

Another thing to check, is that your computer date/time are current. SSL root certificates are only valid for a specified time window (normally several years), but I have seen situations where people have set the wrong date/time on their computer, so the certificates become "expired".

Back