Safari shows no video - only audio

darkew

Registered
Hello everyone,

I just got my new MacBook Pro and am already having annoying issues.

For some reason, Safari fails to show video in web pages. For instance, videos from apple.com (any of them, including trailers). I get the controls and audio - but instead of video, just a blank screen. I'm using Snow Leopard.

Looks like a problem with quicktime. I can see youtube videos, for instance.

In Firefox, it asks me to download a plug-in to see the videos, but it can't find any.

Is there any other details I might provide?

Thank you!

Try creating a generic user account for testing. See if it does it in a different user. If it plays fine in a new user then perhaps try deleting quicktime preferences in your users/user/library/preferences folder.

Actually, I just got this from a very nice and helpful lady over at Apple discussions, and it worked, so I'm reposting. Thanks for your reply, djackmac!

Hi,

Insert your SL DVD disk. Open the Optional Installs package. An Installer window will open.

Continue through the installtion window, you will get to the Installation Type.

Select QuickTime 7 and click: Continue.

Restart your Mac after the installation and repair disk permissions.

Quit any open applications/programs. Launch Disk Utility. (Applications/Utilities) Select MacintoshHD in the panel on the left, select the FirstAid tab. Click: Repair Disk Permissions. When it's finished from the Menu Bar, Quit Disk Utility and restart your Mac. If you see a long list of "messages" in the permissions window, it's ok. That can be ignored. As long as you see, "Permissions Repair Complete" when it's finished... you're done. Quit Disk Utility and restart your Mac.

Actually, although it did help - it is happening again. And I have no idea what's causing it. I haven't installed anything since then. I'm totally clueless.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hey Djackmac.

You were right. Created new account, it worked. Went back to regular account, deleted quicktime prefs, it works again.

Now I only wish I could prevent this from happening again.

Thanks again.

Back