Safari: Stop adding .mpg to split filenames!

processor93

Registered
This is a demand not an answer. It's what I's say if I could speak to Safari.

If I download split files named .001, .002, etc. that are done with HJ Split or similar, which can be rejoined in Machacha, Safari recognizes that they are pieces of a movie file and adds .mpg to the end. This means before I can rejoin them, I have to rename every file removing the .mpg and then confirming i want to change the extension with a mouse click-only option.

Is there anyway to disable this auto-naming convention?

I can't say for sure whether there's a better way to do this or if Mac OS X can do this natively (Split a large download and I'm thinking Terminal). All I can suggest is to use the provided Applescript (Replace Text In Item Names) and

Or, it may be easier still to set up an Automator Script (linky) that you can access through your Contextual Right-Click ....

I guess you are either on Dial-Up or have a small Downloads quota?

None of the above may be optimal in your instance (ie: you may already be doing either) but this is all I can think of at the moment ... ;)

I can't say for sure whether there's a better way to do this or if Mac OS X can do this natively (Split a large download and I'm thinking Terminal). All I can suggest is to use the provided Applescript (Replace Text In Item Names)

Or, it may be easier still to set up an Automator Script (linky) that you can access through your Contextual Right-Click ....

I guess you are either on Dial-Up or have a small Downloads quota?

None of the above may be optimal in your instance (ie: you may already be doing either) but this is all I can think of at the moment ... ;)

Wow, it really has to be that complicated? It's not just a preference I can turn off?

To have to write or even just run a script to rename extensions seems ludicrous. It only does it with files of unknown extensions - if the file ends with an extension it (or the OS) understands, it leaves it alone. But these may not even be MPGs! They could be .AVI or even .RAR or .ZIP once rejoined. in favt it adds .MPG even after non-split .AVI filenames!

Safari never used to do this on files before I got Leopard. Maybe not even before 10.3, I can't recall.

For the record, no, I'm not on dial-up, I have DSL. I'm not choosing to split the files with .001 (etc.) suffixes, I'm downloading them already made.

Last edited:
Back