Safari unexpectedly quit

cweber22

Registered
I can't get Safari to launch. I keep getting the error message that Safari unexpectedly quit. I am using OS X 10.4.11 and Safari 3.1.2. Firefox works. I tried launching Safari with another user and the same thing happens. Do you know what the problem might be? Thank you.

Carole

First, go to Disk Utility and repair permissions.
Once that is done give Safari a try. If it still doesn't respond, go to Home>Library>Preferences and trash the com.apple.Safari.plist file, empty the trash and then give it a try.

Go to /Library/Internet Plug-ins/ and see if one of those (remove one at a time
(just move the plug-in to the desktop) to see if one of those is preventing Safari to launch.

First, go to Disk Utility and repair permissions.
Once that is done give Safari a try. If it still doesn't respond, go to Home>Library>Preferences and trash the com.apple.Safari.plist file, empty the trash and then give it a try.

This worked but i had to shut down and restart.

I have OS X, Ver. 10.4.11.

When I click the apple icon in the upper left and select 'MAC OS X Software', nothing happens.

I have all updates. I have tried removing all Internet Plug-Ins.

in home>Library>Preferences, there was not even a
com.apple.Safari.plist to delete!

What version of Safari do you have? Does FireFox or another browser work?

Well, whatever the problem, it's not just Safari. I deleted Safari in attempt to reload it, which also failed.

Now you need to get your OS disk and start up the computer with it.
Select your language, then go to the menu and select Disk Utility.

Have Disk Utility repair the drive, then repair permissions.

If that does not work, and Safari still quits on you, you need to do a clean install of the OS.

Well, whatever the problem, it's not just Safari. I deleted Safari in attempt to reload it, which also failed.

Well, that will explain why nothing happens when selecting Mac OSX software because that function uses Safari. Safari is very integrated into the system and deleting Safari is NEVER the way to fix an issue like this. You will most likely need to archive and install to reload Safari, unless under the installers you are using it may be an option in the optional installs (bundled software). But regardless it may be wise to do an archive & install to undo whatever else you may have done trying to solve you Safari issue.

djackmac, You can install specific parts of the OS using Pacifist. And while you may think that deleting apps like Safari won't fix a problem, on the contrary it does.
That are times when a component of the app is corrupt and the only way to correct it is to delete and install fresh. Pacifist can sort through the OS X install disk to find the part you need.

djackmac, You can install specific parts of the OS using Pacifist. And while you may think that deleting apps like Safari won't fix a problem, on the contrary it does.
That are times when a component of the app is corrupt and the only way to correct it is to delete and install fresh. Pacifist can sort through the OS X install disk to find the part you need.

I've been fixing Macs professionally for several years and haven't ever run into an issue where I've actually had to delete Safari, but to each there own. I have had to solve issues with Safari using archive & install where the problem was so deep into the system that reinstalling Safari wouldn't help. I was taking the problem from an approach of the OP saying he had already deleted Safari along with who knows what else? The proper course of action would have been to leave it be because it hasn't even been determined if its a user or system issue. What good is deleting Safari and reinstalling if turns out to be a corrupt user besides a lot of wasted effort?

Good point. Trouble is we don't know what troubleshooting measures the user did up to deleting Safari or how he tried to 'reload' safari.

Creating a new user and testing the app while logged into the new user is always advised before doing a clean or archive install.

I have helped users delete Mail, re-install using Pacifist with favorable results.

Back