Safari Web Archives: Reliable?

magilum

Registered
I've been an iCab user for about five years now, and I'm used to web archives working. Even when the saved page includes a link to some file that I can't load, I can usually just stop the loading process to see what I do have stored in the archive. The format is great, too. It's ZIP.

What I've noticed about Safari web archives is, much of the time, they just don't load. Safari opens them, and tries to "load" them endlessly. It could be a simple text page, and it still won't open properly. What are your experiences with these files?

I've never seen that problem. It could be one of file helpers ... which for some reason Apple chose to hide from the user in X. I use DefaultApp from Rixstep (free.) It could be that Safari doesn't think it's supposed to open webarchives. Certainly worth a try ... as are moving the Safari plist out of your Preferences folder and setting your Safari preferences again ...

Are you trying to load the iCab web archive pages with Safari?
They use a way different format than Safari webarchive.

If it's the Safari webarchive format that gives the errors with webarchives created with Safari, then try zo's steps above.

Web archive and webarchive just don't seem to be interoperable.

Back