Safari won't launch on my MacBook

kimpro69

Registered
I have a MacBook; purchased in Oct. 2006. All has been working fine until yesterday. Safari suddenly shut down and when I tried to relaunch, the icon on the toolbar jumps a couple of times (teasing me as if he is going to launch) and then doesn't open. I did get it to "almost" launch a couple of times and it never opened my home page. It instead, within seconds, it shut down and I got the error message that the application suddenly quit but that my operating system wasn't affected, etc. All of my Office applications work fine but Safari will just not launch. Any suggestions? I've seen a couple of suggestions for newer MacBooks with Leopard operating systems. Mine is for sure Tiger. Help!!!!

Test by creating a test user. Give it some name like "Joe User" and see if Safari starts when logged into that account. If so, it's not the app that's corrupted, but its preferences. You can erase Safari's preferences ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist (when logged into _your_ account again). Maybe it'll start again after that. (You'll obviously lose your prefs for Safari by erasing them.)

If that doesn't work, apply the combo updater for 10.4.11 (again).

Back