Safari won't load (m)any pages

RS2_Russ

Registered
Having serious problems with Safari v1.0 (85) in 10.2.6:
Basically, almost all loads stall, including even HTML files dragged to it. I reported the bug, emptied cache, reset Safari, reinforced All Library Preferences and re-installed, but to no avail. Anyone else had same problem? Any ideas? I am currently forced to use IE because Safari has become utterly useless!

Delete all the Safari preference files from your library folders. Some bugs in the first Beta of Safari would corrupt these files, and the solution was to delete them. Its possible that you still have corrupted preference files.

The files are:
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist
~/Library/Caches/Safari
~/Library/Safari

Give that a try and let us know how it goes.

Seems to get a little further (I'm trying this very page) but still hangs with the blue bar about 20% along :-(

i dont recommend deleting these files unless you back them up first.

really.

i lost all my bookmarks. shame on me.

Originally posted by RS2_Russ
Seems to get a little further (I'm trying this very page) but still hangs with the blue bar about 20% along :-(

Have you ever installed the Safari beta that you had to install with .pkg? That one messed up some folks' webkits, that'd eould man ou have to reinstall.

Good guess RPS, thanks; I did run the beta (and I ran Safari Toolkit if that has any bearing). What do I have to re-install (camino is working really well btw but I would like some Java support)?

I notice safari is starting to hang when a page is loading, no other pages will load till others are finished, it didn't do this before.

My symptom has been:
Page loads mostly OK, but then it hangs on the last item on the page. Like, "completed 20 of 21 items" or... "completed 32 of 33 items".

I plan on trashing (after backing up) those files Symphonix suggested; I'll post back.

Hmm, well after copying those folders and files to a "Safari Backup Files" on my desktop, quitting Safari, deleting the originals, opening Safari again and trying some pages, nothing changed (except my bookmarks are gone and I think my prefs got reset).

Versiontracker.com still fails to load (it works in IE) and some pages in Safari stall then finish up on the last item loaded.

I'm gonna move my Safari pref files back and wait for an update I suppose.

hmm, well with me if a page is slow to load, I have two options, clost the window of the slow page, or wait for it to finish before the other opening page will proceed. Thats not surfing.

That's not surfing, it's flailing about with no life preserver. Write Apple a missive. All of you.

I get a hangup in IE when I'm on this site and I access a long page. For some reason, PHP lists tend to make this browser sluggish.

I have *many* problems with Safari either not loading a page at all or randomly displaying images in inappropriate places. Sometimes all that shows is a single image. If I do a refresh a different image appears, but not the entire page. These pages show up correctly on both IE and Netscape, so the problem must reside somewhere on the Safari engine.

yea, I had a image show over a page that it was supposed to leave. Basically, click a image link, the image pops up right on the page.

I knew I subscribed and waded through the Knowledge Base for a reason! Check this out, it works :)

<http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n107641>

TITLE

Safari: "Times RO" Font May Cause Some Pages Not to Load

Article ID:
Created:
Modified: 107641
8/7/03
8/7/03
TOPIC

Mac OS X does not require the "Times RO" font, but certain applications may install it. Installation of this font can cause Safari not to load some web pages, or to load them partially.

DISCUSSION

Symptom

Some web pages load partially, or don't load at all.

Products Affected
o Safari 1.0 or later
o Mac OS X 10.2.6 or later

Solution
1. If Safari is open, quit it.
2. Check these two folders for for the Times RO font:

/Library/Fonts/
~/Library/Fonts/

3. If you find Times RO, remove it from either or both folders.
4. Open Safari.
This document will be updated when more information is available.

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be the problem on my machine, since that specific font isn't present

Why dont you try "removing" (but backing up) as many Fonts as you dare, such as all the ones in your Home Library/Fonts folder? Just a wild guess, but it may be the problem. OR start up from install CD, Run Disk Utility and Repair Permissions?

Back