Safe mode start up only

omedome

Registered
My iMac G5 froze. I restarted it manually, but it kept freezing on a blue screen without loading the OS. It can start up fine in safe mode, but that's it! I've tried repairing permissions and zapping the PRAM.
Finally I resorted to an Archive & Install. That didn't work so I did a clean install but that didn't help either. After having done everything under the sun to it to get it to work, it will still only start up in safe mode. I even tried starting up off each of my two external fire wire drives with no luck (it froze on the fire wire screen with both drives - a Maxtor and a Western Digital). I am thinking that something on the mother board has died so that normal booting is prevented but safe mode booting is allowed. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Don O.

I am anxious to hear some replies, as I am having the same problem. I downloaded the SMART Utility program on my laptop and loaded that program onto my IMac G5 Isight, and it told me my Hard Drive was failing. Something about the AirFlow Temperature was failing. But I have also been told by the technicians at apple that it is a logic board problem.

Back