Salvaging Old Drives

Achates

Registered
Hey everyone,

Since my beige G3 bit the dust, I need to recover the data on the two drives (the built-in and the one internally attached to a Tempo Trio). As far as I know, they are both functional.

I have a UMAX C600 and my PowerBook to work with. What should I do? Buy enclosures and treat them as externals? They're so small (4 GB and 25 GB) that it hardly seems worth that.

I might be able to put them into the UMAX. I forget how many drive bays it has, but I'm pretty sure they're IDE, which would be great.

Thoughts?

Achates

I don't think it's worth quibbling about what to do. If you think about it, just do it, and see if it works.

Personally, I'd also do research to see how it should work. Apparently, the C600 has only one IDE bus, and it works with only one drive at a time unless you run Linux or MacOS X. One alternative that should work is to put the Tempo into the C600, and attach both drives to the Tempo.

Buy one enclosure, put the drives in one at a time, get the data off each, then buy a large (250GB or more) and put in the external.

Back