Samba PDC, OSX Client

Meng Tian

Registered
Hi,

I want to join an OSX client to a pdc running with samba 3.4.2 on opensuse 11.2. The OSX client is 10.5.8.

While I am quite familiar with linux, my mac knowledge is quite limited. But I used google a lot and I think it actually should work, but it does not.

Windows XP clients can connect.

So I go to directory utilities - services and there to active directory. And after entering my data I get:
Code:
An invalid Domain and Forest combination was specified.  You should enter a fully qualified DNS name for the domain and forest (e.g., ads.company.com).
I tried to enter the domain name, the whole thing - i am in a university, so I have DomainName.Institute.University.de (Germany), and also the ip address... none worked.

Well, this is supposed to be a dns problem - that's what I read in several forums. But when I ping the name (DomainName.Institute.University.de) it finds the correct ip and I get my answer. So it can't really be a dns problem can it? What else can be a fully qualified DNS?

I also read that there should be another option in "Services" called SMB/CIF - but those threads where quite old, so I guess that's outdated? Or can I install it?

Any help'd be appreciated, I am at a loss here

Back