Samba SWAT problem, CLI blues

Lazarus18

In debt medical student
OK, here's the deal. I have samba installed so that everything runs nicely. The only problem is launching it. In theory it should happen at boot up, si? If I look in the process viewer, there are smbd and nmbd. However it's not really running, or at least not what I need because I can't connect to it. If I look up status via SWAT it shows it not running. I click on launch, it does, and now I can connect.

Well the power went out and now I can't relaunch SWAT. I could only do this in Mozilla, but something's been messed up there so the nightly build I was using won't launch, and the standard build (netscape as well) timeout when trying to access localhost:901. I don't think it's related to the power outage, but it was my only way of launching SWAT. Omniweb can access localhost:901, but freaks out on status, it takes forever to load and when I click launch it thinks and thinks and then reloads the page and nothing has changed. IE can't access localhost for some reason.

Any advice? I don't know how to launch smbd and nmbd from the CLI. I can enter nmbd and smbd and it seems like they run, but even before this problem that wouldn't show up in SWAT and I couldn't access my shares.

If someone could tell me how to do it from the CLI that would work just fine, I don't need SWAT, it's just that that's the only way I know to get it running. Thanks.

Back