Samsung Syncmaster 2032BW with Powerbook G4 - not playing nicely

moygashel

Registered
Hi everyone! I'm a newbie here, and I've searched to see if this issue has been addressed so apologies if I've missed it.

I have a 1.5 GHz 12" Powerbook G4 and just bought a Samsung Syncmaster 2032BW 20" external display to save my poor eyes. According to the spec, it is Mac compatible so I connected it using the mini-DVI to DVI converter thingie and set it to its native resolution (1680x1050).

Unfortunately, I keep getting intermittent 'noise' like static interference on a TV - firstly it was a kind of bleached out flashing, and now its horizontal fuzzy black lines all over the screen.

Phoning Samsung's technical support wasn't useful. They know nothing about Macs, although the guy I spoke to said that Samsung do not recommend using mini DVI to DVI converter connectors (something not mentioned anywhere!). How else can I use an external display??!!

I've switched off my speakers and subwoofer and moved my cordless phone charger out of the room in case interference was a problem.

To summarise - is there anything I should do before I pack this up and get a refund? I suspect this display had been repacked so it may have been returned before and is quite possibly a dud.

And secondly, can anyone recommend a 19 or 20" display that will play happily with my Powerbook?

Thanks so much in advance!

It seems to me that you have a defective monitor, or possibly a defective cable. I recommend that you replace the cable, and if you still see this "noise" take the monitor back. I have a Samsung 19" LCD monitor for my MacBook and it works fine.

Thanks wraith, I will try that.

I've used the mini DVI to DVI connector recently for a projector and it works fine, so I hope that narrows it down a bit!

Back