"Save" vs. "Save as"

Gritty

Registered
very confused....when I save a file using "save" my document grows by leaps and bounds.... (an 8mg doc grew by almost 200k) when I use "Save As" and just replace the file everything is kosher. What gives? :confused:

Depends on the program you're using. A few applications I know do not only save the 'needed' data when saving. I.e. they sometimes also save older states of things or do not get rid of included media. The "Save as..." command, however, does only save the things that are currently in the document.

Using InDesign CS.... I'vs tried Adobe tech (to no avail) is there anyway to stop this?
We are a publishing company with 7 graphics people. As they continue to "Save, Save, Save, my disks are filling up. AAACK!

I remember such an issue back when using MS Word on Windows (no idea if it applies to Word on OS X). Disabling the Quick Save feature helped. Perhaps there is something similar for InDesign? Quick Save was a feature that caused only incremental differences to be saved, and I guess other stuff like time of change, etc were included hence the bloat.

Nope. This is long-time Adobe style. Was like this even in Pagemaker (although they've bought that, didn't "invent" the "bigsave" feature themselves...). Just get your folks to occasionally "save as...".

Viro said:
I remember such an issue back when using MS Word on Windows (no idea if it applies to Word on OS X). Disabling the Quick Save feature helped. Perhaps there is something similar for InDesign? Quick Save was a feature that caused only incremental differences to be saved, and I guess other stuff like time of change, etc were included hence the bloat.
The same thing used to happen in MS Word and either PowerPoint or Excel 98. You could delete half the document and it would STILL grow by 10k or however much. Disabling Fast Save resolved the issue.

I think it saves the undo History as a part of the document when you choose "Save", and doesn't when you choose "Save As".

Which is along the lines of what Fryke was saying.

Back