saving as .pdf in any OS X app? How?

TazmanDman

Registered
Isn't it true that because of OS X's graphics engine it can .pdf virually any file? How do you do it? thanx

-Taz

Select Print from the File menu, then click the Preview button in the Printer dialog, which will open the Preview application. From there, you can Save as PDF from the File menu.

It sure is a great feature, especially when you are out of paper or ink in your printer. Others use it to save as pdf, and print in Classic or OS9 because their printer isn't supported in X yet.

You can actually skip the step of using Preview.app. Select Print->Output Options->Save as File->PDF, and you can do what you wish directly from the first application.

This doesn't work in applications which have nonstandard Print dialogs (like Terminal.app), but neither does the Preview.app approach.

thanks for the 'skip the step!'

I think the PDF integration in Mac OS X is largely overlooked. Its good to see this getting some more attention.

Doesn't that really mean that Acrobat is pretty pointless now? I mean, if anyone with OS X can make PDFs why buy Abrobat?

Originally posted by onan
You can actually skip the step of using Preview.app. Select Print->Output Options->Save as File->PDF, and you can do what you wish directly from the first application.

I learn something new everyday! Thanks for that tip onan.

Hypernate: Adobe Acrobat still has a lot of functionality in creating PDFs that you cannot do with just saving as a PDF file in OS X. Creating hyperlinks is just one I would like to see.

onan: you can easily save as PDF from the Terminal.app print dialog box; I do it all the time to make copies of manual pages for people.

SCrossman: Acrobat can create in-document links. GoLive can create site-specific hyperlinks, i.e., /products. Acrobat can create hyperlinks, but only of the non-site-specific, i.e., absolute variety: http://www.companyx.com/products; this type of link can obviously also be created in GoLive.

Originally posted by chenly

SCrossman: Acrobat can create in-document links.

I was referring to the PDF save function of OS X and wishing it had the functionality of Acrobat. However, that wasn't apparent in my post.

Originally posted by Hypernate
Doesn't that really mean that Acrobat is pretty pointless now? I mean, if anyone with OS X can make PDFs why buy Abrobat?

I can't complain, I got a free upgrade because Version 5 came out soon after I purchased Version 4 (I just wish the same was true with the rest of my Adobe Suite! :( ).

But still, Acrobat has more advanced features that OSX does not give you.
But if you are just going to make a quick 'n dirty pdf - OSX's built in feature does a wonderful job! :)

Back