say i had a digital camera that wasn't compatable with macs...

Winkler

Registered
and it has a usb cable, if i tried to connect it to my mac what would happen? would anything show up? If so, would it have all of the pics there that i could just drag off?

Thanks..

(Also i have mac os x 10.3.5)

Most likely, nothing will happen at all. In some cases, the camera might mount as a drive and you might be able to read the files on it, however in just about any case I've seen where people have tried to hook a dodgy-brand camera to their Mac it just completely failed to do anything.

For a list of all currently known supported cameras, check here:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/cameras.html

in case your camera would not be mac compatible .. sell it, and get a better one? :)

If you are in that situation, one option is to buy a mac-compatible memory-card reader which can read the camera's media.

Of course, you'll have better luck with cameras that take some standard kind of memory, like compactflash, Securedigital or smartmedia, rather than some proprietary format like,say, camedia...

Just about every camera that has a USB connector will be recognized in OS X. iPhoto will open or you will be asked what you want to do or it will be shown on your desktop as a disk.

If it shows as a disk, just double click on it and continue to double click the folders to find the pictures. You may have several folders in there.

And make sure you have the camera connected with it's AC cord to an outlet. Most cameras will not show unless it gets additional power.

Back