SBC/YAHOO DSL problem (SF bay area)

yuki

Registered
Go to your preferences in the MAIL application, and EDIT your account. SBC/YAHOO DSL had given me a string for my OUTGOING MAIL SERVER. It never worked. I would get some sort of authentication error.

I called many times asking for help but SBC did not know there was an email application named MAIL nor did they know that there was a Netscape later than 4. I found no one else having this problem on the net.

It turns out very easy to fix. Right under the OUTGOING MAIL SERVER is an OPTIONS button. Click on this. Then besides AUTHENTICATION choose PASSWORD. Then give your user name and then password.

I then called SBC/Yahoo DSL to ask if they wanted the fix to the outgoing mail server problem for MACs? She said 'no'.

to get any decent help from SBC yahoo, you pretty much have to insist on talking to a supervisor and/or a tier 2 technician. also, the level of help really varies with each individual. i make it a point to always write down the person's name to whom i am talking and i do report the one's that act like you describe. it helps to know more than them to start with and to be able to show them this as you go thru. they do have instructions for mail.app, although they try hard to get you to use outlook express instead. still, you must have just gotten a jerk.

Wow, I've only called them twice and the first time the woman whizzed me right through the problem and had no problems dealing with a mac. Luck of the draw I guess.

I did have the same problem that you mentioned and finally figured it out myself. I think Mail could be a little simpler than it is.

Back