Scanner connection - it's yes - it's no.

Using the Nikon Super CoolScan 5000 connected to my Mac G5 using a USB connection.

I can easily access the scanner using its own software (from Finder -> Applications -> Nikon Scanner) but when I try to connect to it through Photoshop I get an angry beep and a message that the scanner is not connected.

Well, obviously it's connected, or the Nikon software wouldn't work, but it does work and I am able to scan.

In Photoshop CS2 under "File -> Import" the Nikon Scanner appears in the pop-up window that follows the selection of "Import" but the error message bleets an angry rejection and tells me the scanner could not be initialized.

I tried the connection using the USB port in the back of the keyboard, and the USB port in the computer itself - no difference. The scanner is connected. So why doesn't Photoshop see it?

I see no place in Photoshop to "connect" it - probably because it is connected and the software doesn't see it.

Confused? So am I?

Anybody?

Barry

I believe you should have a Nikon Twain plug-in in

your_username/Library/Image Capture/TWAIN Data Sources/

Is it there?

No, there is nothing like that in my Library - I reinstalled the scanner software from its original CD and got the same result: works as a standalone, not through Photoshop.

Do it work using the MacOS X-standard Image Capture?

It appears that this slide scanner does not include a TWAIN driver. This means that it requires application-specific drivers for each supported app. You cannot scan directly into an unsupported app, but you can scan import the files into file-compatible apps after they are scanned.

Back