Scanning under OS X

Originally posted by ericmurphy
Any luck with Microtek scanners? I'm thinking of getting a 4800 (I did say low-end, didn't I?), which supposedly will have an OS X driver available by July 15.

Be weary of purchasing a Microtek USB scanner. I contacted Microtek support about my 3750i scanner, because it was not listed on their site for planned OS X driver release. Their reply was that they have no intention of supporting their USB scanners under OS X, just the Firewire ones. They also stated that some USB scanners are listed on their site, but that that information is incorrect and just have not updated the site. :eek:

My advice is to go with a company that has OS X drivers NOW. I believe both Epson and HP have drivers, available in final release and in beta. Also look at what Vuescan supports. Vuescan is a third-party scanning software that supports a variety of USB & SCSI scanners. They can be found at www.hamrick.com

Best of luck,
Fernando

Personally I don't scan but once a year, and $39.99 for VueScan seems like exstortion. I have an older Microtek x6...which is one VueScans list. Does anyone know of a more practical way of using my older USB scanner without buying VueScans hostage program?

Back