ScanSnap PDF workflow

MacRankin

Registered
ScanSnap S500M

ScanSnap includes:
Acrobat 7.0 & Rediris Pro 11

01_Set_Up
Before you start, select the ScanSnap icon from the dock and select the Settings... and from the Save menu on the floating palette choose and name a destination where you intend to place your PDF files.

02_ScanSnap
Place up to 30 (max. 50) pages, back-to-front and upside-down, but only after having thumbed through to the end of the 30th page!

03_Acrobat
ScanSnap should open Acrobat, but if it doesn't it may mean some preferences have been altered and forgotten about.

Before opening Rediris Pro, select the pages from your scanned in documents and extract about 5 pages at a time. This will not only prevent Rediris or any other app from slowing down, but it will help in making the progress that needs to be made.

Note: It takes just 25 minutes to 'PDF' a copy of MacUser magazine. That's 98 page of pure bliss. Ok, maybe not bliss, but if you have a lot of magazines knocking around the place as I do then you'll really appreciate the ScanSnap scanner's ability to be able to finally nail your storage problems.

If say, you can put aside 4 separate half an hours of scanning you'll easily clear an humongous bucket-load of zines, as I hopefully will.

Automatic Process
(simple, but not so effective)​

04_Rediris
Open Rediris Pro, open your smaller or 5-page file and begin scanning to OCR. When it has finished it will prompt you to save it. but it may not be as accurate as you would like it to be, so you will have to choose each of the previously OCR'd pages and save them individually in-order that annotations can be applied and that you will be able to replace your original scanned in pages with these scanned to OCR pages.

OR

Manual Process

(when you need more accuracy)​

04_Rediris
On opening Rediris Pro you will find that it is set to Automatic OCR. To turn it off, go to the Process menu and select the ticked Automatic OCR, and this will remove the tick and disable Automatic OCR.

Note_01: > When you see this symbol it refers to navigating from a named menu.

Note_02: >> When you see this double symbol it refers to navigating across adjacent sub-menus.

File > ⌘O. This will highlight your destination folder (without the period). Use the ↩ and →↓ keys to select and navigate to your file and open it.

After it has loaded your file by first converting it and then by analysing it. Then, when it has loaded your page you will see a number of numbered Zones. There are a number of these different zones depending on what might be on the page itself, but let's just start with the most popular; that of the Draw Text Zones and Draw Graphic Zones.

Saving this page as it is will return the same results as before. So, you will want to delete all zones: Layout (menu) > ⌘D (Delete All Zones).

It will be up to you how you decide what will be a block of text or a graphic, so for the sake of it let's go to Layout > Layout Mode >> Draw Graphic Zones.

Layout > Layout Mode >> Draw Text Zones. Once you are happy with your selection you will need to recognise your document: Process > Recognize Document. It will then prompt you to save your document to another destination; say, your desktop for example.

Place this document in a folder where you can access it along with your regular Acrobat pdf files.

When you open this document with Acrobat it may not be an Adobe Acrobat file to start with, so you will need to change and save it by going to File > Save As , and then you will be able to annotate this document for the first time.

---

Working with individual pages
and using keyboard shortcuts

01_Set_Up
As before, select the ScanSnap icon from the dock and select the Settings... and from the Save menu on the floating palette choose and name a destination where you intend to place any single page, pages or complete PDF files.

02_ScanSnap
Place a page into your ScanSnap and gently ease it in a bit, otherwise the machine won't draw in your page.

03_Acrobat
When Acrobat opens save your page to the destination you originally set up from your ScanSnap settings.

Place another page in your ScanSnap scanner, and when it has finished scanning it will again open Acrobat. When it does select these keyboard shortcuts...

⌘ W (close window), ⇧⌘ I (insert pages)

Finder highlights your destination folder

(Return Key selects folder ), → ↓ (use the arrow keys to navigate from one adjacent folder (columns) say, and up or down along to the next file)

(return keys activates the next two processes)

Shift-Command-S (Save As).

---​

Btw, some of my little symbols didn't make it into my post, such as those funny '⇧', T-Shaped characters. Those were meant to stand for the shift key symbol, but I guess most of you knew that.

Just thought I'd mention that the ScanSnap isn't so good with scanning in pencil drawings. So, if you were thinking of a scanner for artwork, then my second best choice for pencil drawings would have to go with Cannon's CanoScan LiDE 600F. You can have it standing upright, and in that way you save precious desk space. It has a film adapter too, but you can only use one or the other when in use.

===​

I didn't touch on the jpegs mostly because I've forgotten how to manipulate them, but when I do get round to next having another look at them I'll probably will make refinements to this guide or how to.

===​

Back